Opinions of PRS SE

18 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Just scouting out some guitars and came across this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-SE-Standard-Electric-Guitar?sku=519371

Does anyone have any experience with these lower-end PRS SE's?

Thanks much.

(@rahul)
Famed Member

I think Pearlthekat here good experience with PRS. Just make sure to go out to the store and play one. With such guitars, playing and feeling them beforehand is a must.

Good Luck.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I have the PRS Mark Tremonti SE (formerly owned by Bish, who liked the PRS so much he decided to go whole hog on a major upgrade :D ) and it is awesome!

Love the neck, beautiful tone, stays in tune, lightweight and comfortable to play.

This is what I have, in platinum metallic:

http://www.prsguitars.com/tremontise/index.html

Highly recommended by me.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I was looking through the "Post Your Gear" forum and noticed that there are not a lot of PRS owners here.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

MIne is in silver with a tremelo thing on it. It's a high quality instrument. I think in it's price range it's probably among the best you can buy. It's made in Korea but that should have no bearing on your decision. There's nothing cheap feeling or looking about it.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I was looking through the "Post Your Gear" forum and noticed that there are not a lot of PRS owners here.
It seems to me that not as many shops carry the PRS brand, and that may be partly responsible.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I kinda like like that Tremonti.......

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i think this is a forum geared to fenders and gibsons and their clones.....

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

i think this is a forum geared to fenders and gibsons and their clones.....
I disagree that GN is "a forum geared to fenders and gibsons and their clones." While many GN members own Fenders, Gibsons and their clones, I believe that merely reflects the predominance of those types of guitars worldwide. While certain threads do extol the virtues of this or that line of guitars, the forum itself does not favor any brand or brands, IMO.

PRS is a younger, less-established company than either Fender or Gibson. Further, PRS's are not entirely removed from Fenders and Gibsons. As Wikipedia (surely the final authority on the planet :twisted: ) states, "Paul Reed Smith has said in interviews that two major inspirations for his guitars were the Fender Stratocaster and the Gibson Les Paul Junior."

Try a PRS - I bet you'll like it. :D

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i have a PRS. see above.

while i didn't mean the actual "Forum" as in GN, i meant the people here as reflected in the many threads devoted to talking about brands of guitars. PRS is a very well known brand, at least as well known as the many smaller companies that make strats and gibson type guitars. I'm not sure why PRS isn't that well represented here except that it's perceived as a very expensive brand. most of the threads here asking for advice on which guitar to choose are started by people on a limited budget. I used to try to always mention PRS but even $400-$500 for the Santana SE is out of the range for what many people want to spend. I got mine for $400 on ebay a few years ago and thought it was a good deal. that was the upper end of my price range at that time.

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Funny you should mention the expensive part. I asked my guitar teacher about them and he called them over-priced.

I'm looking for a light guitar that will give me a little bit heavier sound. I am going to try to get to a store and play one.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I know you have a PRS, Pearl. I was advising the original poster, Bgdaddy316, to try one. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

Some people may perceive PRS guitars as being an expensive brand because it's only been in more recent years that PRS added the more widely-affordable ($400+) guitars to their line.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@prs_zig)

I own a SE Singlecut in tobacco burst and I absolutly love it. It is a great guitar for the price and it is an easy guitar to play. I would definitly recommend a PRS SE. and if you look at the tobacco burst online it looks really bad but in person i think it looks awesome. I think you'll enjoy the guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@itchard)
Trusted Member

My friend and I spoke to a local guitar shop owner a few months ago, and his shop is full of classic/relic/custom shop/new fenders, gibsons. tokai, and quite a few PRS's.

He said the SE was the nicest guitar he's ever played.

I think that they're great for the price to be honest.

Going back to the "brands" point of view, look at it a different way. You go into a guitar shop, what body shapes do they have the most? There are so many Strat copies in the world...and les paul ones not far behind. Lately i've seen a lot of PRS-knock offs though (look at the Vintage "VRS" for starters...). I'd also agree with the fact that Fender, Gibson, etc are very popular models, and have been around for 50 years and more.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

what i really really really want is a telecaster. fender has a new one is KOA.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2