12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

I was listening a local radio station tonight and they emitted the song Summer Kisses, Winter Tears by Julee Cruise. Looking for some info I found this another version by Elvis. Although I actually thought it was a version of Ain't No Sunshine* with different lyrics.

Sometimes Elvis changed the lyrics to some hit songs, making a new version. But this time I don't know if the Julee Cruise's version is previous to the Elvis' one or if both are a "arranged" version of Ain't No Sunshine or vice versa.

Any idea?

(*) - Very nice cover by Ricochet.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Thank you, Nuno!

I hadn't heard the other versions you mentioned.

I think sometimes people knowingly come up with new words to an established tune, and sometimes they just reinvent the same thing. There are only so many chord progressions and melodies that sound good. I've "invented" a couple that I later figured out were old standards, myself.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

"Summer Kisses, Winter Tears" was originally recorded by Elvis in 1960 for the soundtrack of the "Flaming Star" film. It was co-written by Jack Lloyd, Ben Wiseman, and Fred Wise. It also appeared on the 1965 LP, "Elvis For Everyone."

"Ain't No Sunshine" was written and recorded in 1971 by Bill Withers for the "Just As I Am" album.

There are similarities, especially in the two title lines - they share almost the exact same melody. It's possible - it wouldn't have been the first time it's happened! - that Bill had heard the Elvis version, retained the melody in his subconscious and dragged it out at a later date.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Seeing how Elvis record Summer Kisses,Winter Tears in 1965 and
Bill Withers released Ain't No Sunshine in 1971 I'm forced to go with
Vic's theory.

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I had to read the Wikipedia :?
The following year [1991], Cruise recorded a Lynch and Badalamenti produced cover of the Elvis Presley song "Summer Kisses, Winter Tears" for the soundtrack of Wim Wenders's Until the End of the World.

These things happen. Tonight they seemed more similar to me. But you know sometimes the covers change also the melody.

Ricochet, I agree. Some weeks ago I "invented" something like When the saints go marching in! :lol:

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

nuno -just name it "Since the Spains were Watching out" or something, record it, and you can retire :lol:

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Some weeks ago I "invented" something like When the saints go marching in! :lol:

Hi Nuno,

That's a coincidence – so did I! :mrgreen:

It was for the Sunday Composer Workshop forum tasks that we're both doing (Week 6).

I usually do them at the keyboard, as there's one right next to the computer, and I start by hitting some random arrangement of keys and then seeing what I can make out of it. That day I hit the four notes D F G A and ended up writing an eight bar melody line based around multiple variations on that run of notes (it was the Isomelody exercise).

About half way through improvising some different rhythms I thought… “wait a minute… that one sounds slightly familiar…” and sure enough, if I shifted one key to the left, started the same hand pattern on the C instead of the D (making it C E F G), and out came the start of “Oh When the Saints….”

Of course, the move to the left changed the arrangement of semitone intervals slightly, but it did make me realise how small the step sometimes is between melodies that sound nothing like each other.

A midi of my melody, which doesn't sound even slightly like The Saints

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

That day I hit the four notes D F G A and ended up writing an eight bar melody line based around multiple variations on that run of notes (it was the Isomelody exercise).

Hmmm . . .
Dogbite's new song is Dm, G, F, A.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

That's a coincidence – so did I! :mrgreen:
It was for the Sunday Composer Workshop forum, too. It was in the week 2. I used the same rhythm and everybody said the melody sounded very familiar. Noteboat "discovered" the similarity between both melodies.

Very funny things! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

In the past year there was a hit country song by some woman singing about smashing and ripping up her unfaithful man's pickup while he was inside a bar philandering. The accompaniment strongly reminds me of "The Carol Of The Bells."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Heard that song that sounds like "The Carol of the Bells" today. It's Carrie Underwood's "Before He Cheats."

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Before he cheats and The carol of the bells. Some parts of the song reminds the carol, they have a very similar rhythm.

BTW, the carol has a very nice melody. And what amazing harmony! :shock:

I didn't know it. We didn't sing it. I found this version... I don't know how to describe it...

Thanks!

ReplyQuote