Clear all

System of a Down

15 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

My sister introduced me to them a while back. When she first asked me how I found them I sadi "they're alright". I head chop suey and fell in love with that song. Its been my favourite song for ages! I got toxicity first and loved every song on it, the same with steal this album and I jsut got the very first one 2day and yes...I love the whole lot. I love their style, the singer is just brilliant, their lyrics are great, the drummer has some good ideas, the bassist doesn't do too badly either, but as a serious guitarist its gonna be Daron that effected me the most. My dad doesn't really like them because of the way the guitarist "chops" his guitar and hardly plays anything really technical. I however...have grown to play like that myself and in all my music I try so hard not to copy him. I just can't get over it, I still have alot of my own style involved but theres always that lack of technical playing and my slow solos that are meant to sound good rather than look good and be really fast in their just like Daron and also my major ripping of the guitar to pieces bit.. My band that is currently being formed (just need a singer) has already been influenced by my playing and the drummer and bassist is already saying I should even use their tuning, in a way its something that would be really cool for me, but that lack of originality sticks there. Anyway...what you guys think of them? Personally they are my favourite band of all the other bands out there.

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I think they're a lot of fun, but I don't much like the latest album, from what I've heard of it.

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

I liked a couple of tunes on Toxicity but a lot of the songs just don't turn my crank. It gets to be a little too much the same after a while. I love the drummwer. I'd try my best to just do different things. I think it's a good idea to keep from doing everything that their guitarist does. Experiment and do your own thing. You don't want to be another Theory of a Dead Man (Nickleback).

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I like Chop Suey, Aerials and I like Roulette but I can't say i'm much of a fan of the band.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@guerrilla-radio)

I've been thinking of getting one of thier albums...

What's better, SOAD, or Audioslave?

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I think it's a good idea to keep from doing everything that their guitarist does.

Does this mean hes a bad example of a guitarist or that I should just do my best to have my totally own style?

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

No need to be totally unique (heck, everyone rips of everyone else, whether you want to or not!) but exactly copying one dude ain't exactly cool either...

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

What's better, SOAD, or Audioslave?

Having seen both live, I would say Audioslave is infinitely better. I left in the middle of SOAD (they closed at a radio festival) and went home early. I saw 'Slave twice (once at that same radio festival) and there's no comparison. Tom Morello rocks, IMO.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

SOAD - I like them, and they are slowly growing on me. I love Chop Suey, I listen to that song almost every day. I hated it when I first heard it but then something happened and I just "got it" all of a sudden. They have a bunch of other songs I really like, like Aerials, Pictures, Inversion and Toxicity and a few more. Sometimes they lose me though, for example I really like that song Hey Mr. Jack, but then the end comes with the yelling of well, it gets to be a little much for me. They seem to rely on staccato quite a bit. The lead singer also really has a beautiful voice. I like their lyrics a lot, they are ultra liberal and aren't afraid to say sort of silly stuff to really get their point across, like the singing about a pepperoni pizza with green peppers thing which usually I would say was kind of cheesy (no pun intended) but some how it works. I guess as for their over all sound they could branch out quite a bit more from album to album but their sound is also pretty unique. At least I haven't heard anyone else that sounds too much like them but their sound is a little heavier than what I usually listen too.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

I like their 3rd and 1st albums. The guiarist while isnt technically good does some quite origional stuff eg. intro to Suite Pee.
But there music seems like just a novelty after a while so I got bored.
My favourite song kept changing but last it was Sugar!

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Liked what I heard on the radio, listening to an entire album of it though... way too much. They just go crazy on some songs... I don't like the way that tends to come out.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@antny)
Trusted Member

I feel the same. With the exception of one or two songs their radio songs are their best work. I can't listen to the cd straight through. Just sounds one dimensional to me although I agree with prior posts about the drummer and guitar player.

ReplyQuote
(@slapdragon)

I really liked Toxicity, enjoyed almost all of it.

The drummer is awesome, a real powerhouse. I think he is what makes that band.

Singer is probably one of the better metal singers out there.

Guitar player is interesting, doesn't solo much. He kind of reminds me of the U2 guitar player. The solos or melodys are intergrated into the rythym.

Haven't heard this new album

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

sorry, i hate this band for a couple of reasons.

First, you couldn't make sense of their lyrics if you tried

"wooden farts that are on the go..."

"bicycle shoe strings, icecicle nose rings"

What? :shock:

Second, I generally dislike very blatantly over top politically militant bands unless the music is exceptionally good. Example would be Lynyrd Skynrd.

Finally, they are the epitomy of teeny rock/metal band. Lyrics dont make sense, guitarist tunes way too low, advertising is 80% of what makes them popular, and they are extremely liberal.

Couple things I do like about them: the guys vocal style is very unique in places, almost middle eastern type stuff. And they are one of the few popular rock bands that actually try to play solos.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@starz3j)

LOVE THEM!!!!!! 8)

ReplyQuote