Notifications
Clear all

Thank you GN

21 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

OK, so in my attempt to procrastinate on my school work even more (and believe me, if there's ANYTHING that I can do instead of study and write code I'll find it and do it), I was surfing various guitar sites and reading forums. It's unbelievable how completely awful ALL of those forums were. Absolutely no civil or intelligent discussion going on at all. If people asked a serious question, there would be at least one person bashing them for asking a "stupid question". I mean, you ask a question here and people will give you a helpful, courteous reply. Numerous "this guitarist rulez and this one sux" type posts. Way too much flaming.

This place seems to strive to help each other, while the other places seem to just knock each other down to make themselves feel superior. If it were all 13 year olds posting, I could understand it and it wouldn't bother me. But, most of the places were obviously "adults" posting. It was all very sad to see.

One particular place was a forum on a pretty well known guitar magazine's website (won't mention the name), and one of the editors of the magazine posts there, and I couldn't believe how horrible this guy was. Bashing people, dropping F-bombs, etc. Unbelievable that an editor of the magazine would present himself and his publication that way. I had never bought the magazine before, but definitely won't now.

I think my IQ dropped reading these places, and believe me, I can't afford for that to happen.

I came to the conclusion that there are a lot of bitter and angry people out there playing guitar which is pretty sad. I don't think that's what it's all about. It makes me wonder if most guitar players are like that, or like most of us here, because it sure seems like this guitar forum is the only good one I've ever come across.

Seriously, thanks to the moderators and the people here for making this a great place to spend time.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Thank you for procrastinating long enough to say that.

You know back when I was looking for forums I ran into the same thing you did. I still post in a couple, but rarely. The two I do post in are pretty tightly moderated.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Thank you GN and everyone that works hard to makes this site so cool. I thought I was making a horrible mistake when I first joined 'cause I couldn't read the post as a guest, but after hanging around for awhile it was way worth it. I think I've learned a lot from just reading other people's posting, or being humored by them. I've been seaching the net for other sites to join, but ran into what StormyMonday has too. Scary forum sites.

GN has become an addiction. :D

Also a great boost for anyone who really wants to learn to play guitar, or improve on it.

Keep up the great work, and see ya in the forums.

Ghost (another Nick). :)

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I sometimes feel like I am hanging out with close friends when I am here.

That is the exact same way I feel.

GN is a great place to hang out, help and learn.

It's the first and only place I have ever gone.

What can I say, when I commit, I commit.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Ditto on that, Tracker.

8)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@rag_doll_92)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I don't know I think its the respectfulness of other users posting on this website Stormy Monday... I'm thirteen and wouldn't dare dis on someone desperatly trying to learn (Seeing as I am in that postion currently...) I believe guitarnoise has such a reputation for respectfulness, teaching, that anyone dare try and post something rude, they'd get a private message requesting they leave...I really respect guitarnoise for haveing had gained this reputation...unlike other websites obviuosly.

Join the fight to stop global warming...
Join the virtual march at: http://www.stopglobalwarming.org
We CAN make a diffrence!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2