Notifications
Clear all

The Best & Worst Shows You've Seen in Person

51 Posts
37 Users
0 Likes
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Worst for me was the Allman Bros in 05. All jam tunes, with a big pschedleic backdrop. Greg Allman would just leave the piano in the middle of a jam and dissapear backstage, having a snort, or a doob, who knows? I guess alot of the Deadheads are into them now. I've never been one for 20 minute guitar solos on every song. And I could have done without the 30 min drum solo alltogether.

Wow, I saw the Allman Brothers last year as well and was going to put them as the best I've seen. There was a ton of energy, and the performance was spectactular. I like jam type music, though, so I thought it was great. The Allman Brothers have always been about long, live jams, that's nothing out of the ordinary. I don't remember Greg ever leaving the stage though, but maybe I wasn't paying too much attention.

As far as the worst, it was probably the Smashing Pumpkins back around 1996 or so. I don't remember much about it other than my seats sucked, and the sound was bad. They seemed to rush through every single song at warp speed.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

The best--The eagles in Chicago 1978 (Hotel California tour) Steve miller opened for them along with Pablo Cruise, GREAT show :D :D :D
I can't really say Ive had any real bad experience with a major concert or show, But Iv'e seen some really bad bar bands in my time :lol: But as they say--"It's ALL good" 8) --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I haven't been to a ton of shows, but, the best is a toss between, Trans Siberian Orchestra at the P-PAC (2004?) and The Dave Matthews Band at the Providence Civic Center (2003?) (now “The Dunkin' Donuts Center”).

Trans was AMAZING, the P-Pac is a small venue, so the seats were incredible! At the DMB show, Dave was sick at the time and STILL put on a great show (our seats sucked though).

The worst (not the show, but the experience) was DMB at The Meadows in CT. We walking INTO the show with people PASSED OUT COLD on the ground! I don't mind having fun and all, but, this group was obnoxious.

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

best -- kiss, deep purple, motley crue, pink floyd, scorpions

worst-- guns -n-roses, they sounded awfull and walked off the stage after there 3rd song

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I haven't been to a ton of shows, but, the best is a toss between, Trans Siberian Orchestra at the P-PAC (2004?) and The Dave Matthews Band at the Providence Civic Center (2003?) (now “The Dunkin' Donuts Center”).

Trans was AMAZING, the P-Pac is a small venue, so the seats were incredible! At the DMB show, Dave was sick at the time and STILL put on a great show (our seats sucked though).

The worst (not the show, but the experience) was DMB at The Meadows in CT. We walking INTO the show with people PASSED OUT COLD on the ground! I don't mind having fun and all, but, this group was obnoxious.

Wow Mike, TSO, that's very awesome. I'm a fan, I'd love to see them. And DMB obvisiouly, who wouldn't want to go.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member

Best - Velvet Revolver (seen them twice) - Rush, and Godsmack (saw them in 2004)

Worst - Muse, Hoobastank

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Wow Mike, TSO, that's very awesome. I'm a fan, I'd love to see them.

Yeah, it was the first time I ever heard them. I was hesitant to go, but my wife made me. I'm glad she did!

As soon as they struck that first chord................... :shock: .......... 8)

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Wow Mike, TSO, that's very awesome. I'm a fan, I'd love to see them.

Yeah, it was the first time I ever heard them. I was hesitant to go, but my wife made me. I'm glad she did!

As soon as they struck that first chord................... :shock: .......... 8)

Was it a Christmas concert?

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Yeah, they had quite a few singers on hand too. This one woman (this small skinny thing) could belt out a tune! I forget her name, but they did announce her as "The World Renown" somethingsomething. Sorry, don't have the best of memory and I can't find the CD. :oops: The three guitarists acted like they have been playing together since they were born. The entire show was flawless.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Worst - ... HoobastankYeah. Hoobastank stank.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Yeah, they had quite a few singers on hand too. This one woman (this small skinny thing) could belt out a tune! I forget her name, but they did announce her as "The World Renown" somethingsomething. Sorry, don't have the best of memory and I can't find the CD. :oops: The three guitarists acted like they have been playing together since they were born. The entire show was flawless.

That's wicked. I would love to go just to see the musicianship in one of the concerts.

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member

Most memorable show for me also involved a performer who was under the influence...my all-time favorite, Johnny Cash, who I saw live five times.
This particular concert was in the late 60's, in Massey Hall, Toronto...John came out, asked for a chair, turned it around backwards, put his guitar over the back, and sat down, facing the crowd.
He played the whole concert that way, never blew a single lyric, played rhythm throughout, never went off-key....he just was flawless.

He just realized he wouldn't be able to stand up, so he looked after that situation very early, and carried on... 8)

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

My worst concert, wasn't bad, just boring. ZZ Top. They did the Vegas Show Style, I guess it was when Viva Los Vegas came out. I still love ZZ Top and that is one of my favorites ZZ songs but that was a boring concert. There were five in my group and we all agreeed. Anyway Jackyl opened up for them and they blew the top off the arena, plus the lead singer sawed a stool in half with a chain saw LOL. Great show. If you get a chance rent/buy the Jackyl Live DVD, its great too.

Best shows: Motley Crue during the Girls Girls Girls tour. 38 Special I saw these guys twice. Boston Greatest Hits tour I think. Ofcourse I already mentioned Jackyl.

Other Groups I've seen. Faster Pussycat, Goose Creek Symphony, Copperhead, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Joan Jett, Marshall Tucker Band, Charlie Daniels, Fabulous Thunderbirds, Guns and Roses. There maybe more, I can't remember.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

my best show was, of course, U2. October 17, 2006, Wachovia Center in Philly. I had gen adm tix on the floor, was standing a few feet from the ellipse. The Edge did a rip-roaring solo for The Electric Co literally 6 feet from me. i had seen them the night before, and while that was a great show, there was something extra in this one. the band was just ON, and they just transcended every show i've seen them do up till then (which was 5 shows, for htose counting). it was like the music flowing from them was greater than they were. i still get goosebumps when i look at the crappy vids on my digital camera of Bono standing on the barrier holding himself up by some fan's hand screaming the Who line "see me, feel me, touch me, heal me." then to top it off...Bono says "to the guy with the People Get Ready sign, this is for you! I need a guitar player!!!!!!" and out walks Bruce Springsteen and they took the house down. i was high for days.

worst show...like the best show, a no-brainer. Andrew WK, opening for Aerosmith in December of 2002. Every song was the same. bad show. baaaaad. aerosmith rocked though.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

BEST:
U2-'80's in Hawaii... brought me to tears
Stones-Rose Bowl Voodoo Lounge Tour - Biggest Stage I've ever seen.

WORST: Red Hot Chilli Peppers.. Opened for the Stones at above show.
They sucked that night.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4