Notifications
Clear all

The Final Decision

14 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@raxef)
Topic starter  

Okay. I've narrowed it down to two-ish guitars. I'm going for an alternative, Indie, punk, and pop/punk type sound. I'll be playing out of a Mesa F-50, a Traynor YCS50, or a Traynor YCV50 Blue.

1. Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster Reissue

OR

2. Epiphone Les Paul Custom*

* I might, MIGHT, be able to find an Elitist Custom, but for now, we're assuming I can't.

So yes! Thoughts and comments!

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

gotta go with what moves you. me? -- I'm hearing Tele.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've never played a Fender 72 custom Tele, but I do own a Squier Custom Tele - which I bought because it sounded better (to my ears) and felt better in my hands than the Fender Teles I was trying out at the time. I should imagine the Fender's a good step up from the Squier....better hardware, electronics etc.

I've had an Epi LP though, and that was a really nice guitar - these days, quality control at Epiphone really seems to mean something. It was beautifully set-up, just seemed to suit my style.

Of the two, I'd probably go for the Tele - but only because my personal preference would be for the maple fretboard. Like Gnease said, ultimately it's your choice - you should be able to get the sound you're after, though, from either of those guitars. Give 'em both a good work out through an amp that's as close to yours as possible - make a list of the pros and cons of each guitar.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

Like Vic and Greg I would go with the Tele but thats me for you the Les Paul might be a better choice. So I would say try both and see witch guitar is better for you.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

So three votes for Telecaster so far - and by a huge coincidence, all three people have Telecasters in their avatars. Strange that, innit!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

not sure how you can tell from my tiny avatar pic, Vic, but it is indeed a Tele of sorts.

I have lot's of different guitars, but of the two listed, the Tele makes the most sense for the musical styles. were I to choose a LP for this music, it would probably be a LP Junior sporting a single P90. (oh yeah ... that avatar Tele of mine does now have a P90 neck pup! not so far off)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

not sure how you can tell from my tiny avatar pic, Vic, but it is indeed a Tele of sorts.

Seen pics of it before, Greg - it's the "beatercaster" isn't it? The go-to guitar? I never forget a guitar. And yes, I still remember the pics of Fugly and Bugeye!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@guitar_guy)
Eminent Member

In a perfect world, both.

In the real world, I think only you can answer this question. Spend some time playing both - then you'll know which one's right for you.

http://www.jammingbudz.com/jamming-space/GuitarGuy

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Seen pics of it before, Greg - it's the "beatercaster" isn't it? The go-to guitar? I never forget a guitar. And yes, I still remember the pics of Fugly and Bugeye!

Vic

it is. Fugly and Bugeye now have some strange new friends. I'll have to post pics some day.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Did you already played both guitars? Do it.

If you already did it and can not decide. Play them again :wink:

Anyway, I'd buy the Tele (mainly because I already have an Epi LP).

ReplyQuote
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

When I bought a guitar last year, I spent weeks and weeks researching, until I decided to buy a Tele. Then I spent every other day at the guitar shop trying out LPs just to convince myself I had made the right decision. In the end I also bought a 335 only because I just couldn't find a LP that really felt comfortable.

From my experience, you need to try them out, and not just one model, go to a store (if you can) and play with as many as you can. You'll be surprised how different the various model feel and play, and what you think you like might not be the one you feel most comfortable with.

PS - I've given up on the LP now for financial reasons, but I am still looking at them with glassy eyes from time to time....

ReplyQuote
(@raxef)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all your input! I've got a three-day weekend this coming weekend, so I might have some time to do extensive playing. I've done it before. Drove to a guitarcenter, took down two guitars and played. I look at my watch, 3 hours have passed. xD
When I bought a guitar last year, I spent weeks and weeks researching, until I decided to buy a Tele. Then I spent every other day at the guitar shop trying out LPs just to convince myself I had made the right decision. In the end I also bought a 335 only because I just couldn't find a LP that really felt comfortable.

From my experience, you need to try them out, and not just one model, go to a store (if you can) and play with as many as you can. You'll be surprised how different the various model feel and play, and what you think you like might not be the one you feel most comfortable with.

PS - I've given up on the LP now for financial reasons, but I am still looking at them with glassy eyes from time to time....
Haha. I know what you mean. If money were no issue, then I'd simply get both, or better yet, the Tele and a GIBSON LP. xD

ReplyQuote
(@tmarius)
Trusted Member

Tele tele tele. Thats all im gonna say about it :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I'd probably go with the Tele over the Epi at this point.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote