Clear all

The first high/low points of 2010....

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, musically speaking, the first low point of 2010 has to be Dizzee Rascal rapping (on Jools Holland's Hootenanny) with Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" as a backing track. That's REALLY going to take some beating!!!!!

First high point - a storming live version by Kasabian of "Empire." Same show half an hour later - talk about ridiculous to sublime!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You saw that, too, eh? Dizzee Rascal was a complete waste of air-time.

I preferred Jools when he stayed "fairly" close to his blues roots. His current obsession with "R&B" (nowt like what I call R&B), rap and whatever else just doesn't do it for me.

What did you think to Boy George? He seemed to have a lot of bum notes in there, didn't he?

I missed a lot of the show, though, because we went outside to watch the annual firework display at midnight and drink a glass of champagne to toast the new year.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I love Jools playing old rock'n'roll / blues / boogie-woogie piano.....seems his big band, though, is slightly more jazz-oriented. R&B these days definitely ain't what it used to be - it was Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, the Stones playing "Route 66" - I think every British band in the mid 60's, from the Beatles to the Stones, from the Moody Blues to the Yardirds started out playing R&B. These days it stands for Rap and Balderdash, as far as I'm concerned.

I've enjoyed the "Guitar Heroes at the BBC" series on BBC4 the last few nights. Some classics, some obscure....clips of Nick Drake, Leo Kottke (well known to some of you, perhaps, but I'm a fairly new convert)....and some unlikely heroes. Ralph McTell playing a fast finger-picked rag....only ever heard Streets Of London by him. Sheesh, his fingers were FLYING! "Eclectic" is the word du jour....where else would you find Ralph Mc Tell, Ted Nugent and the Runaways on the same programme?

A little bonus before tonight's "Guitar Heroes" was a Rod Stewart & the Faces concert shown earlier...I'm guessing it was from late 71, maybe early 72 as Rod introduced "Miss Judy's Farm" as being from the new LP....that'd be "A Nod's As Good As A Wink." Stunning version of "Maybe I'm Amazed".......

OK, Guitar Heroes just finished - straight into an old Tom Petty concert (so old he wasn't wearing a hat!) from around the time of "Damn The Torpedoes" and following that, a documentary - "Chasing Sound" - on Les Paul.

It's going to be a late night tonight, I think!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Low point - the temperature, obviously. :cry:

High point - having a warm and free rehearsal space full of gear to escape to in the latter part of this week. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Well, musically speaking, the first low point of 2010 has to be Dizzee Rascal rapping (on Jools Holland's Hootenanny) with Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" as a backing track. That's REALLY going to take some beating!!!!!
He did that at the Electric Proms, too. One performance of it was more than enough for me.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Low point - the temperature, obviously. :cry:
He did that at the Electric Proms, too. One performance of it was more than enough for me.

It's not the first time Jools has had him on. I don't see the attraction either.
Sir Tom Jones made up for it, though.

And, yeah, Boy Gorge did sound a bit long in the tooth, didn't he.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

And, yeah, Boy Gorge did sound a bit long in the tooth, didn't he.

His harmonica player was pretty good, though! I have to confess, I liked a couple of Culture Club records back in the 80's - Church of The Poison Mind was one. Bad, bad version of that, though! He's more famous for DJ'ing these days - maybe, given the state of his voice, he should stick to that.

As I write, I'm watching part 5 of the BBC's "Guitar Heroes" series - this has been the most eclectic one so far. From the Dolls to Alice Cooper to Duane Eddy (that bloody awful "If He Played Me Like He Played That Old Guitar" from about '75!) to Peter Green to Whitesnake to Robin Trower to John Martyn....the surprise package of the whole series has been Ralph McTell. Only ever hear "Streets Of London" by him before - he was playing a fast fingerpicked rag, and I thought, wow, he can really play!

I just hope the BBC's going to be as good to us this year as they were in 2009 - there was a LOT of good, OLD music on the various channels!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

And as luck'd have it....

I was going to bed, but another episode of guitar heroes came on - yep, the one featuring Ralph McTell playing "Dry Bone Rag" - an old Blind Blake song, apparently. Sounded just as good this time around! And talk about eclectic - that particular track was sandwiched between something by the Cate Brothers - only vaguely remember them, but apparently their albums were produced by Steve Cropper - and "Wasted" by the Runaways. Did you know Cherie Currie is now an accomplished chainsaw artist? Neither did I!

Seems like I have to stay up a little longer......

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Hey Vic - guess the first low point of the year in my house!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

You aren't coming to England this year? That's a definite low.....probably no Mersyside Jam. :( :( :(

Hmmmmm.....I bet Laura's sulking 'cos Man U got beat by Leeds.....ah well, at least that brought a smile to an old man's face! Talkin' bout Greybeard....bet he's happy!!!

And how about the draw for the next round? If Liverpool beat Reading in a replay (and I'm not taking that for granted!) they get to play Burnley at Anfield.....if my old Dad was still around, that'd be the game we'd go to watch!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

ah well, at least that brought a smile to an old man's face! Talkin' bout Greybeard....bet he's happy!!!

VicNo, Vic, I'm not happy.................

I'm totally b*+#!§$* ecstatic !!!!!

I bet there's a big black cloud hanging over Scumchester, this morning. As the advert says "I'm lovin' it"!! Best bit is, Fergie put out a strong team (maybe not his strongest) and they still got turned over. Fergie was calling another 20 minutes added time, as usual, when they're not winning - the ref was admirably unimpressed.

Having, undeservedly, lost 1-0 to Liverpool, this just about made up for it.

We'll see what we can do about Spurs.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

You aren't coming to England this year? That's a definite low.....probably no Mersyside Jam. :( :( :(

Ah, but are you coming to Philly?

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Ah, but are you coming to Philly?

I wish - but those lottery numbers stubbornly refuse to come out for me!!!

Vic

ReplyQuote