Clear all

Indecision 2010

23 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I want to start lessons in the new year. Though I refuse to call it a new years resolution because if I do it won't happen. I can't decide between guitar or voice lessons. I'm pretty proficient in the guitar but there is still much to learn. Naturally, the guitar is more familiar. Voice lessons came to me when I realized I enjoy it more and lose myself in it. The only thing with that is I always feel weird singing infront of others and am not sure if I will be able to get over that.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

inmnsho, not even close. voice -- you will never regret an investment in your vocal abilities. the power of the voice to move others thru song, verse, evangelism and even plain ole recitation is indisputable. we are wired congenitally and heuristically to pay attention to every nuance of the voice. and your voice goes with you everywhere. it is one of the most powerful tools you will ever have. learn to use it as well as possible.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

What he said.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

What he said.

now if you'd been able to hear Nick say that in his professionally-trained voice, you also would have heard "and singers get all the chicks" in the nuanced subtext (as well as that he's not so humble either). see, that's how it works!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

What he said.

now if you'd been able to hear Nick say that in his professionally-trained voice, you also would have heard "and singers get all the chicks" in the nuanced subtext (as well as that he's not so humble either). see, that's how it works!

Lol. Not sure if I should do it then. I don't wanna lead anyone on because I'm not interested in girls.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Not that there's anything wrong with that...but I'm sure you could get all the guys too.

There are a lot more good guitarists out there than good singers.

One of the nice things about singing is you sing to the members of the audience individually, even when you are singing to a crowd. It is really cool to connect on that level.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

what he said!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Go for the voice lessons. I love to play, and I love to sing, but I'm at my best when I do both.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I agree about the voice lessons, but make sure (as with a guitar teacher) that you're dealing with one who understands the music you like and what you want to do. You may not want to be an opera singer.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

You may not want to be an opera singer.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

You may not want to be an opera singer.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

There is if you really want to play metal and screeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmm!!!!!
I'm pretty proficient in the guitar but there is still much to learn.

Pretty proficient, huh? Sheesh, doesn't seem like two minutes since you were OWA and struggling with Nirvana riffs. Congrats on your progress!

I'd agree with Nick and Greg - go for the vocal coach. I know you've always wanted to play and sing....well, you're half way there. If you're comfortable with what you're playing on guitar, get the voice lessons - you're bound to pick up tips and techniques you can't pick up from your fellow guitarists/singers unless they've had voice lessons - but it's always better to draw from first-hand knowledge.

BTW, nice to see you back in the SSG - playing, singing, writing - all you need now is a bass and some drum pads, and you're all set!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

I've never had a guitar lesson in my life, but studied voice a lot. (For some reason, before I wound up in my current career, teaching, I did a lot of musical theatre while trying to make a living as an actor.)

I'm gonna buck the trend a little and say, do both. If at all possible. Possibly even with the same teacher, if you can find one.

Two reasons for this. One is, I can play alright, I can sing well, but I really struggle to "marry" the two, singing and playing at the same time. A teacher who teaches both guitar and voice is likely to be a real find with this.

Two- Most vocalists know hardly any theory, but most good guitarists (in my experience) seem to know quite a lot. This, to me, is one thing you don't want to neglect in lessons.

And a funny thing, Ricochet- one of my best friends is the lead singer in a local thrash metal band; trained as an opera singer. To me, this is a GREAT combo. Opera, or concert and classical music generally, including musical theatre, if you're trainer, is where you learn about support, control, and power that doesn't damage. (I know a lot of rock singers who really hurt themselves, and are hoarse after a concert- I NEVER lose my voice, and classical training, with real breath support, is the reason.)

Happy new year everybody,

Ande

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

That's one thing I want to learn with voice lessons. I went to a jam a couple months ago and since there were plenty of guitars and no singers I volunteered. One of the requests was for Enter Sandman. I thought my vocal chords were going to collapse into a single atom.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Another thing that helps with singing is yoga, or other physical activities with a breathing element. Far too many singers, and a lot of pros are in this category, get their "power," from the throat, which creates tension, and too often injury.

When you support from correct muscle use in the gut, you're putting the BIG muscles of the vocal aparatus into use. Then you can really belt it out without straining or hurting yourself.

best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I signed up for voice lessons starting next week. Nervous because im shy singing in front of others when sober. Any last minute advice?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2