Clear all

Indecision 2010

23 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I signed up for voice lessons starting next week. Nervous because im shy singing in front of others when sober. Any last minute advice?
Keep it to only half a six-pack . . . until the lesson is over.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Swallow the shyness. Is this a group class, or one on one.

Did the teacher give you an idea if you should bring anything?

If not she/he is probably just going to want to hear you sing. Do you have sheet music for a song you feel comfortable with? If so, take it with you. Whether you have sheetmusic or not, in the days before the class, sing through a few songs just to be comfortable with them.

BUT it's very likely that a lot of the first lesson will be spent exploring, and doing exercises for the vocal mechanisms, not actually singing things all the way through. So it won't be as scary as you think.

Let us know how it goes!

Justin

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Its one on one lessons and i was only told to bring a list of songs i want to learn.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

A bit of an update.....

I've had 2 lessons so far and things seem to be moving along smoothly. She says I have a wide range and am really good at matching pitch. It could be natural or something my guitar experience gave me a leg up on. We are working on exercises, both scales and breathing as well as some songs. I'm learning Garbage and Slipknot as per my request. I will be learning the guitar parts to these songs on my own as well.

It was weird being the novice again. Reminded me of when I first picked up the guitar and knew nothing. Apparently, there are a lot of musical terms that apply to voice that don't come up with guitar (eg, alto, soprano, fallesetto etc). None of which I understand. It was refreshing to branch into another instrument though. It's easier to practice as well because it doesn't require picking up a guitar. I could do it infront of the TV. The breathing exercises can be done just about anywhere.

The only stumbling block was my teacher asked me if I had anything that could play cassette tapes, to which I answered "I don't know, what's a cassette tape?"

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The only stumbling block was my teacher asked me if I had anything that could play cassette tapes, to which I answered "I don't know, what's a cassette tape?"
:lol:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Sometimes a generation gap can appear to be a chasm . . . especially when it comes to technology.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

You have no idea how crushingly old that makes me feel. I remember when 8 tracks first came out . . . I'm gonna go molder away in the corner fer a while. :(

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

I work as a language teacher trainer.

The realisation that I can no longer used recorded materials on on cassette during the course because nobody knows how to run the machine was an old moment.

But now that I've got audacity on my laptop, I can't think why I'd actually WANT to record on cassette.

Best,
Justin

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2