Clear all

The guitar fund is almost full

22 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Last year in June(I think) I mentioned the idea of starting a guitar fund and you all suggested it was a good idea. Taking that advice I started a guitar fund. See? I do listen to you folks...on occasion.

Well, it almost has enough money in it for what I want, the PRS SE Paul Allender model shown here: http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/all/sI14245/ . I saw it at my local shop for $550 if memory serves me right (which it doesn't) but I'm prepared to pay close to what this website has it listed for anyway.

I've yet to play the guitar but am not committed to this particular model but am committed to a PRS. Not sure why but I have to go with my gut.

Note: This does NOT mean I will turn away donations.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Note: This does NOT mean I will turn away donations.

AIG either :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Taking that advice I started a guitar fund.

Congratulations. It's a great way to buy stuff by saving up first (and cheaper).

I saw it at my local shop for $550 if memory serves me right (which it doesn't) but I'm prepared to pay close to what this website has it listed for anyway.

Haggle. All the music stores will move on price for bigger ticket items or will at the very least throw in stuff to the deal and probably more so in the current economy (though I haven't bought lately so I'm not sure how much more than usual). Also, if I google around a bit I can see it for $650 instead of the Sweetwater price of $750.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

I found this one online for around $650, don't know anything about the site so you may want to check it out first if you decide to order. http://www.gordonlasalle.com/servlet/the-1905/Paul-Reed-Smith-SE/Detail

Good Luck, those inlays are awesome.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Bats on the fret board, nice! :twisted:

Good job saving up for it. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I hope you have tried PRS out already. and props to your discipline on saving. ya. major props.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Last year in June(I think) I mentioned the idea of starting a guitar fund and you all suggested it was a good idea. Taking that advice I started a guitar fund. See? I do listen to you folks...on occasion.

Well, it almost has enough money in it for what I want, the PRS SE Paul Allender model shown here: http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/all/sI14245/ . I saw it at my local shop for $550 if memory serves me right (which it doesn't) but I'm prepared to pay close to what this website has it listed for anyway.

I'm with Hyperborea. Haggle. You'd be surprised at the discounts you can get just for asking, and if you're willing to hunker down and dicker, you can save some pretty substantial dough. Here's a site with some suggestions: (yeah, yeah it's on the AARP site. so sue me. I'm a cheap ol' geezer ;) ) http://www.aarpmagazine.org/money/pay_less_for_anything.html

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Taking that advice I started a guitar fund.

Congratulations. It's a great way to buy stuff by saving up first (and cheaper).

I saw it at my local shop for $550 if memory serves me right (which it doesn't) but I'm prepared to pay close to what this website has it listed for anyway.

Haggle. All the music stores will move on price for bigger ticket items or will at the very least throw in stuff to the deal and probably more so in the current economy (though I haven't bought lately so I'm not sure how much more than usual). Also, if I google around a bit I can see it for $650 instead of the Sweetwater price of $750.

I've never paid the sticker price for a guitar. Although, I've never haggled either. One time I came in with my Renaissance acoustic (never heard of the brand either) as a trade in, they offered me $75 if I threw in the bag I brought it in. I picked an Ovation Celebrity Deluxe which was $680. They asked me if I was sure as it was a really nice guitar and would be a difference of $600. I said I was. During the checkout they let me keep my gigbag and still get $75 trade it and paid the tax for me.

Other times I'm not buying big ticket items but still somehow get a price drop without asking. They even waived the taxes on a cord. Not sure if it's because the guy didn't want to fumble with change from a weird cost of $10 something or that I like to skin.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Congrats on the PRS decision.

It will be the last guitar I have to give up if that situation presented itself. I love mine.

OH wait, here it is now....

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

When are you planning on buying? Are you planning on buying new or used? Just curious.

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I'm shooting for mid-april at this point and buying new.

Gorgeous guitar Bish. If you don't mind me asking, how much did that set you back?

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I've had to put the new axe on hold for now. I had to lend money to my parents. It was either new axe or parents lost their house.

Just thought I'd let you know that I'm not dream shopping or anything, I'm still planning to get it.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Wow! Good for you! Hey, my kids don't lend me money! :lol: But they would. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I've had to put the new axe on hold for now. I had to lend money to my parents. It was either new axe or parents lost their house.

Very commendable of you! :D

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

good move, GS/OWA -- the guitar will be that much sweeter when you do get it.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2