Clear all

Semi Hollowbody for a HWY 1 Strat???

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@roundi)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

First things first, I am a gear junkie and I admit it. Having said that I can not have another guitar and keep my wife(yes I am keeping her, or at least she is keeping me).

I have recently been yearning over a semi hollowbody guitar like an Ibanex Artcore AS93 or Hagstrom Viking. I currenly have been playing guitar for a little over a year and I am well and truly addicted. My biggest guitar achievement is inspiring my 10 year old daughter to start taking guitar lessons. I bought a HWY 1 Strat 6-8 months ago and I have am enjoying the it and have no complaints about it. I am not a real fan of the famous really bright quack of the strat but the hwy 1 is not as bright as a traditional strat so that is a good choice for me I think. I have discovered blues since picking up the guitar and I am thinking that I may prefer the tone of a hollowbody with humbuckers. I almost bought a Les Paul style guitar when I got my origional electric but gradually turned to the Hwy 1 strat. The amp I am playing through a Fender Super Champ. I don't really know any guitar players and I want to make a well informed decision.

I enjoy a nice creamy overdriven sound or nice clean so I am thinking the hollowbody may provide this better than the strat.

I am worried that if I unload the strat to get the hollowbody I will be regretting it in a few months.

I need a voice of reason. If such a thing exists when it comes to guitars.

(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

You may want a semi-hollowbody, you can get more les paul type tones without all of the feedback that comes with full hollowbody guitars. I just got my first semi hollow, the epiphone sheraton II and it is probably my favorite guitar right now.

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

Oops, didn't see that you said semihollow already. You may just want to try a guitar with humbuckers, it will give you a different sound than the singlecoils and it will give you more options.

Maybe you can convince your wife that you need to keep the fender for your daughter and you NEED a semihollow.

ReplyQuote
(@roundi)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

The only person I ever seem to be able to convince of anything is myself.

I went and looked at some guitars and one recent observation is that with the larger body I do not tend to slouch over the guitar as I do with the strat. I do find that my back and shoulder get stiff after playing for a while. Luckily for me they are low on Semi-hollowbody guitars right and have no Vikings in so I have to wait and check back in a week or two. This will force me to take a while to consider the changing guitars.

Is there any real drawbacks to a semi-hollowbody guitar that may suprise me?
Or any recommendations on specific guitars in the $500.00 range?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

My favorite electric guitar is a semihollowbodied Agile AS-820. Mine has P-90 pickups, which I also love.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

The only drawback to a semihollow is that they can feedback if you are playing with A LOT of distortion but because of the center block of wood they hardly ever do. If you're playing blues music then you shouldn't have a problem.

As for recommendations: I always see people playing Epiphone Dots and you can get them for pretty cheap used, I've seen a few in the past week in different guitar stores and pawn shops going for well under $300, with a setup these things are great.

The Dot: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Dot-Electric-Guitar?sku=518250
The Dot Studio: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Dot-Studio-SemiHollow-Electric-Guitar?sku=518706
Epiphone BBking Lucille: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-B.B.-King-Lucille-Electric-Guitar?sku=518252
Ibanez Artcore Semihollow: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Artcore-AS93-Electric-Guitar?sku=512565

I'm sure others will chime in with different semi-hollows.

ReplyQuote
(@roundi)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

OK I located a good deal on a used Hagstrom Viking Delux.
Is it too much to have 2 electric guitars and an acoustic? I can't part with my strat I am sure of that and I need to have an acoustic. But I really would like a semi-hollowbody guitar. I have been playing for a little over a year and I am a admited gear junkie for any and all hobbies I am into. Guitar has taken over all other hobbies and pasttimes. Mrs RoudI will not be pleased to see another guitar in the house and I want to make sure the heat I will get from her is worth it. I think she is jealous of all the time I spend with the guitar instead of watching TV with her.

I am not crazy am I?? Two electric guitars is not all that extreme is it. I mean in buying another guitar, other unrelated behavior is a subject for another day.

PS I thought I made another post about this a while ago but I don't see it here anywhere. Sorry if I put it somewhere I shouldn't have. I did a search and it does not seem to be here. oh well

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

3 guitars, to many? Ask Nick, he keeps his own, personal harem of guitars.

Tell your wife that it is necessary - does a golfer only have one club?

In return, buy her something that she wants. Don't promise it, just go out and do it - surprise her.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@roundi)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, I bought a guitar. Not the Hagstom or Ibanez I was origionally considering but a semi hollowbody non the less. It is an old used Washburn and it was very cheap and Ilike the sound. I played some 6-900 dollar epis and this one seemed to be in the ball park so I got it. It will be great for that overdriven rock tone I believe. It came with a case too.

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

We need to see some pics! Congrats!

ReplyQuote