Notifications
Clear all

The Hear Here Forum Section - Please Read

31 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

I'm not really sure if i can chime in here, i've been a member for long but haven't visited again until recently.
I agree with you roy, and i also agree with cnev in part, i too get lazy when it's time to record..

I'll make a point though of recording that 3yeard doodle of mine and get it up, maybe someone can help me break through the wall :D

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I agree with you roy, and i also agree with cnev in part,
Nobody's wrong. That's what's cool about it. It's a tool available for use for those with the time and the desire to use it. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member

I must admit I've never posted there for a couple of reasons, when I did have a look when I'd first joined the forum, it was a kind of, arghh not good enough to post anything there yet...

Also - it would be a humble recording using a microphone into my pc, which I didn't think would sound very good either..

Perhaps one day I will give it a go :-)

In the mean time, I'll go and have a lurk :D

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Apache, it goes without saying to do what you want and what you're comfortable with. Having said that......

I would like to point out that it is totally fine to record the room as Keith Richards would say. If you do vocals and guitar, mic placement gets tricky. I have a few that I posted where I did just that.

My set-up now is much different, but I still record with the one mic method quite a bit. I play and sing into my mic and play back to see where & what I need work on, or to otherwise determine progress or if a change in method or strategy worked or not. You don't even have to save. Just undo and record again. Repeat as desired. Besides, if you don't save, you can't post. Problem solved. :lol:

Audacity is free and oh so easy to use. I use Reaper now, which was only $60. I still do a lot of recording with the one mic, especially now as I am practicing for my Senior Home "gig" next month. Instant feedback. No guessing on how it sounded. In the same breath, it does take away any optimism at what I just did sounded good. Sigh :roll:

We won't even talk about my attention span. I switched to that PC to record sinatra-made-famous - "Fly Me To The Moon" - and ended up playing Pink Floyd's, "Mother".

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I have 2 days off, today being the second. I really wanted to get something done like a video. Problem is I have a horrible upper respiratory virus. (Better not be the flu cause I got the shot!) :lol: Yes, built in excuse to sing bad but not sure if I can even make sound. :roll: We will see what the day brings.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I must admit I've never posted there for a couple of reasons, when I did have a look when I'd first joined the forum, it was a kind of, arghh not good enough to post anything there yet...

Also - it would be a humble recording using a microphone into my pc, which I didn't think would sound very good either..

Perhaps one day I will give it a go :-)

In the mean time, I'll go and have a lurk :D

I wouldnt worry about the recording quilty too much. Record with what you have, and see how it turns out. Ive recorded a few directly into my Ipod. Doesnt sound great... But its passable at this point. Im going to work on a video but Im not keen of setting myself up for a fall on youtube!! [im REALY not that good!! :D ] I might down load it to photobucket..Maybe I should work on that this weekend

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I do try and check in every now and then, post a comment or two.....but it has to be said, there are quite a few people who post new tracks in "Hear Here" and never bother to listen to anyone else's music. it's almost like, "Hey! Here's my new song/ my new cover version of..../ my new amp....without giving any feedback to anyone else's efforts.

I have to admit, I haven't spent a lot of time looking at the HH forum for the last 12 months or so, maybe even longer - I've been busy with other things (the SSG, and life, in that order...) and I'm surprised how long it is since I had a HH post - nearly two years. No new recordings, and too much going on at home to spare the time to record....

Hopefully, this year I'll be able to record some new songs....and hopefully, I'll remember to check everyone else's new songs out. Well, not everyone's - just the ones who take AND put something back. Can't expect a lot of positive feedback on your own songs if your only reason for visiting HH is for an ego boost, and you can't be bothered posting anything about other people's hard work.

Give a little, put something back - that's how GN's always worked. And, for the most part, does work.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well I have a slightly different take on Hear Here than Vic does although I agree with what he says in theory. But people post stuff for different reasons and people respond for different reasons.

Sure there are people that just pop in and post a song without much explanation so it's hard to tell if they want feedback or just posting something for people to listen too. Some of course is showing off and I don't have a prob with that. I may or may not comment on something like that.

If you are posting a song that you wrote and wanted some type of specific response then you need to be explicit about what you are looking for.

And then you have the others that are struggling through playing there first songs etc. Personally and it's just me I don't really see the point but who I'm I to say what you should or shouldn't post. Personally I know what I sux at and I have ears and I can hear when I make a mistake or flub some notes I don't see any point to posting it here. I guess if all the posts were video's were you could see what a beginner is doing then one might be able to give some constructive criticism but what are you going to say if you can't see it...Work on your chord changes they are slow..I would think the player already would know that and if they didn't they are going to have issues progressing.

As mentioned in another post Roy guilted me into posting some practice videos complete with me screwing up. But even if they had been perfect I never would have posted them it's just not my thing. But I did learn one thing and it had nothing to do with playing and that is if I ever get on stage I defintely need to work on a stage prescence. You gotta have energy and jump/move around. When I see bands that just stand there like trees I don't care how well they play they don't do it for me.

When you record it it's all about the music, when you are on stage it's more than that you also need to be entertaining.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I guess for me,the videos are of us having fun and I want to share that. I wouldn't classify myself as showing off cause despite how long I have been doing this I'm not "that" good. I love watching what other people are doing. I find all levels entertaining. I like hearing and especially seeing what others are doing. I'm with Chris on the evaluation. I know what I am doing poorly. I think the nice part of the thread is that no matter what level we are on, we are all a lot alike. We are never happy with what we do, yet proud of what we do manage to get right.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I hear ya TR and that's cool I like your video's but alot of times I don't really have alot to say so I don't.

I guess the only point I would mildly disagree with Vic is that just because someone only comes in here to post a song or posts but doesn't comment on anyone else's, I wouldn't necessarily hold that against them and keep me from commenting on their stuff.

Post if you want and don't if you don't but you shouldn't feel obligated to have to comement on someone's stuff just because you posted something.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Good thread, Roy.

I always go to HH even if I haven't posted anything.

I enjoy watching and listening to everyone else grow and improve upon their skills.

I certainly don't post my videos to show off. I know better. I do it because I can, you are my friends and I know if you post a comment, it'll be honest. I'm not asking for anything but will say that with no comments, you tend to wonder if peeps are just being nice and respectful by not saying anything.

I've only had serious focus on guitar since coming here and realizing the amount of information is endless and I've learned way more than I ever expected to by coming to GN.

Without you guys, I'd probably still be JUST drumming. But I love playing guitar. Try playing melodies on a standard drum set. Something gets lost in the translation. :mrgreen:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I tend to agree with what Vic said. If someone has not put anything in anywhere else, I really don't pay attention to what they've done in Hear Here anymore. I have in the past and seen no difference, so why bother. If I am going to put in the effort, I want to know that it's someone who has done likewise for another part of that forum section or another forum section.

As far as absolute beginners, I partially agree with cnev. I've gotten a bunch of feedback in the form of tips by posting some of my first songs and especially first serious attempts at new-to-me techniques. I know what I post sounds bad or is showing off my mediocre intermediatte skills, but the tips I get often seem to help. Examples would be like when people say to let it out when referring to vocals, or someone mentioning that it sounds like my strumming hand/wrist is too stiff or countless other helpful tips. I can't go get lessons, the walls surrounding me don't say much, the dogs fart too much and my wife is too nice or afraid. I've learned a ton by putting beginner quality stuff on Hear Here.

I've seen others say things like "it sounds like you're pulling yourself out of tune" to some really beginner level stuff which may have taken a begginner ages to determine on their own. I know on my first attempts at power chords that I knew sounded, well, not very good. However, I didn't know why. I put them out and got some good tips.

In turn, I've little to offer someone technically, so I return favors when I can and/or pay it forward by offering moral support and cheer folks on no matter what level.

As far as wanting a specific response, I totally agree. something like, "Is this a good lead tone" or "Is this the way to mix fills properly" and such are questions that are sometimes hard to answer when it's your own.

Oh, and I didn't intend to guilt anyone into anything. :mrgreen:

Roy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Roy it's all good and you know I'm only kidding. Everyone should do whatever they like to do. I guess I just don't think that it has to be a tit for tat kind of thing...I won't comment because you never did kind of thing. But I'll be honest most of the time I haven't commented on one time posters material myself but not for that reason.

But those showoffs like TR, Bish and Joe Hempel really have to stop posting all those video's....J/K.

I do agree that it is more "entertaining" to see a video than just an audio recording I can get to see whoever is actually playing and soemtimes get a look into the exclusive "Man Cave up North"

Maybe someday if there is anything I'm actually proud of or else if someone takes a video out of the blue I'll post again.

I wana rap over Joe's version of Billionaire...

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I guess the only point I would mildly disagree with Vic is that just because someone only comes in here to post a song or posts but doesn't comment on anyone else's, I wouldn't necessarily hold that against them and keep me from commenting on their stuff.

Just to clarify a little - I don't mean the beginners who are just feeling their way into making music, posting their first mp3s or vids; I don't mean the people who ARE after a specific answer; but I can think of a few people who kind of use the forum as if it's there for their own personal benefit. I can think of one guy in particular - who's been around at least as long as I have - who posts his latest covers, or his newest guitar, or his newest amp or pedal or blah-di-blah-di-blah. I've never yet seen him comment on anyone else's music; just drops in every now and then to show off. Well, sorry pal, you may be a pretty good guitarist, but I'm not going to bother stroking your ego. It's a question of RESPECT and courtesy, professional courtesy if you like. Oh, and to clarify a little further, I'm not talking about guys who post lessons, either.

It's nice to get feedback on your own music; but it's just as nice to let someone else know that their efforts aren't wasted. CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is an invaluable tool; "This sucks" as a critique is worse than useless, it's downright insulting and belittling. "This sucks, but it's got possibilities: maybe if you tried (insert options here) instead of (the bit that sucks!) it'd work better....." is far more useful.

It's similar to the SSG in that respect - I post my lyrics on there, and hopefully I'll get some feedback on them. Hopefully positive feedback - but if I've made a mess of something, I'd like it pointing out to me. Only this week, I'd written a new song which seemed pretty decent at first read....till someone pointed out the POV had changed between the first two verses and the third verse without any explanation. I read the critique, re-read the lyrics and thought, "hell yes, you're right - it doesn't actually make sense the way it is." Haven't got around to fixing it yet, but I will now that I know what needs fixing. A good critique - constructive criticism - is worth its weight in gold!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

All is good Vic and I have an idea of whom you speak of and I guess I would agree with you on that.

But the SSG section is a little different than the Hear Here, in SSG everyone knows whent hey post their lyrics someone is going to critique that's the way that section works.

In Hear Here it's a little ambigous as to what people are posting it for, enjoyment, critique, showing off?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3