Skip to content
Time to fess up AKA...

Notifications
Clear all

Time to fess up AKA Good money after bad (video)

40 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

As many may know, early last year I purchased a Peavey VYPYR 75 watt modeling amp and it was cool and I liked it. Near the end of last year I diecided to buy the Sanpera I foot controller for it. It worked cool and had some good features. I got my Peavey Windsor 100 watt tube head and turned into a half stack kind of guy. The VYPYR sat there for a bit and after a little room rearrange I decided to use it. The Sanpera pedal had no power. (It runs off the midi cable that connects it to the amp) I try unplugging and replugging. Still doesn't work but I notice I smell plastic melting and see smoke from the back of the amp! I unplugged it and the amp worked fine but I was out my money for the controller as the warrenty was 90 days. For the last 6 months everytime I look at that amp I get angry. It had to go. Full well knowing I would take a bath on the trade I brought it to the music store yesterday and traded it. They gave me $125 pretend dollars for it. (They were $50 high on the price of the amp I bought) So really $75 for my VYPYR that I paid $299 for a year and a half ago. I could have kept it and bought on line but the anger would still be there. Oh? You want to know what I got? :wink:

It is a Peavey Valve King 112. 50 all tube watts, spring reverb, chanel switching and many many more features. The foot switch I bought for my Windsor is made for two amps, the Windsor and the Valve King. Very handy indeed. It is easily the best sounding amp I have although my son liked the Windsor better still I think it is the 4 X 12 cab sound he is liking there. It has more gain than I need. Imagine TR with the gain set at 1 oclock! No overdrive pedal required and by the way, foot switchable boost so it is really a 3 chanel amp.

In summary, it would have made more sense to not trade the old amp .......... but the anger was getting to me everytime I looked at it so I certainly wasn't going to use it. You need to play happy!

Wanna hear it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jntW1qQxVpk

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Ya, you know... some times its better to just cut your loses. You would have just kicked that amp every time yyou walked by it anyways... and off'ed in in a few more years anyways, and probably to a buddy for like 50 bucks... and wouldnt have gotten the cool Valve king!!!! Sounds like win win to me. :D

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

So far I'm liking it pretty well!

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Congrats on the Valve King! That's a good amp and a keeper for sure.

Sorry for your troubles, but life's like that. Sometimes we go through trial by fire (or molten plastic) through no fault of our own. It just happens. So umm... you came out smelling like a rose, and sounding better? :shock: What's not to be happy about? :lol: :lol:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats, TR. Gotta like the tube sound. Very cool. 8) 8)

Can you hook it up to the cab? I see a connection outlet in one of the photos. I also see a "Texture" knob a "Resonance" button. All that on top of a multi-channel tube amp. It's got to have quite a variety of tones. Cool again. :)

I'm sorry to hear about the problems with the amp/foot controller you had with the digital rig. I remember you digging it for a while. I looked in that direction a time or two, especially the one with the Tube output in the signal or whatever it was. I never saw one set up anywhere to test and then I lost all interest due to something else catching my ears and eyes.

Congrats, again!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yes, I can hook it up to a cab and according to the manual it disconnects the internal speaker. Just needs to be a 16 ohm cab is all and my 4 X 12 is 8 ohm. My Valve JR cab is 16 ohm but it's a single 12 just like the combo so nothing gained there.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Ah, yes. The ohm thing. My bad.

Tell TF you need a 16 ohm cab for christmas this year. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Good idea Roy ... too bad he is poor! :lol:

Wanna hear this little beast? In keeping with the Munsters Dry Bones thread ........ I decided to learn this today. I need practice. :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jntW1qQxVpk

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Oh man! That sounds great, even through the camera mic. I love that rich and creamy saturation. You scored big. 8) 8)

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rStgbbiC_f8

How bout this one .......

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Now you guys are just showing off. :lol:

Both of you sound great. Nice performance, nice playing and it looks like loads of fun.

That amp sustains forever.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm lovin that thing! Yeah, we hadn't played that one in a long time. It was fun. I think the new setup out there makes a nice video too!

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Great video! :D

Very good to get the chance to see and hear the Man Cave in action. Thanks for posting that.

Bummer about the amp - sometimes you just don't want "fries with that"... but I totally agree with the idea of getting rid of something once it starts to bug you. It's something I've recently got around to sorting too.

I also had a modelling amp that I thought would be good. It was a Vox AD30VT that had a small valve pre-amp, and a stack of adjustable amp models, presets and generally gadgetry in the solid state side of thing (if that's the right terminology). I had it for several years and never settled on a setting. Every time I plugged in I'd fiddle and fart around, endlessly twiddling knobs and trying different options. I ended up hardly using it. So I recently put together a package of gear that I'd bought but hardly used - the Vox amp, a Yamaha Pacifica guitar, a cheap gig bag, an old tuner, etc and my friend and teacher sold it for a bargain price to one of his students. The kid is thrilled with it, and I'm glad to have the space back. I bought a Fender Hot Rod DeLuxe III valve amp. Without doing any knob twiddling at all, what comes out is pure honey in comparison. Wonderful. :)

I also got rid of the most expensive guitar I ever bought - a Seagull acoustic/electric with their top of the range LR Baggs pickup system. It was a very good guitar with a fine sound, but I just never clicked with it. It used to sit in the case irritating me that I just never did it justice. Whilst another acoustic that cost less than 1/3 of the price got played almost every day. So I sold that too - or to be more accurate I swapped it for a whole string of guitar lessons from a local pro. He loves it and can really make it sing, so I get to hear it played as it should be and don't have it sitting round taunting me any more! I haven't regretted getting rid of it for one second. Sometimes it's good to let go and clear the decks a bit. :)

As you said "You need to play happy!" I should frame that, sometimes the simplest advice is the best. :)

Have fun with your great new amp, and thanks for letting us share the enjoyment.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

...I bought a Fender Hot Rod DeLuxe III valve amp.
Another sweet toy!!!

When I got my Blues Deluxe Reissue, the Hot Rod Deluxe was first runner up. I actually went into GC to get the HRD, but I heard the BRDI and instantly fell in love. That will be the last amp I ever part with if I'm forced to part with amps. My brother in law has an HRD, previous version from the III IIRC. It's snap is tighter than the BDRI while the BDRI is smoother, at least with lower volumes. Plus the HRD has that third channel. Sweet amp, dude!

I bet in a few years we could have a live tube amp jam with actual good sound quality. I might be good enough by then to be allowed into TR's cave, albeit digitally. :D :D

OK, so to throw one more tube amp name into the ring. Any of you guys seen or been able to play a Jet City Amp? I've got the 20w as my low wattage entry. There's a 50W two channel number out now. I'd love to play it once to see how it is. supposedly has that Soldano 80's lead tone. then again, I'd never be able to play it. It's be fun once. The 11R models of the 80's soldanos sound good, but I've never played one so I don't know their quality.

All that said, no more gear for me for a long time. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I bet in a few years we could have a live tube amp jam with actual good sound quality. I might be good enough by then to be allowed into TR's cave, albeit digitally. :D :D

You guys are always welcome in any fashion! 8)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3