Clear all

U2

39 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@hueseph)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

With all due respect. I think there are some points to acknowledge here.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=11worst

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

That made me laugh.

Yes there are good points. Vertigo gets annoying. I hate that the son'gs in a commercial (although I really like the commercial, i think it looks cool) but don't condemn a song cos of Apple. The album does lack alot of the straightforward rock the band was hyping. I was actually a little disappointed in that, I was expecting some Ramones influenced album with The Edge playing riff after riff of distorted guitar and just this huge wall of guitar. That's what was being hyped, but that's not what we got.

Other than that though, this little rant is entirely laughable. He says all this as if U2 didn't have one of the most successful tours ever in 2001. And in all likelihood they'll have another massively sucessful tour in 2005. I hardly think they're too old to rock. He mentioned the Stones and I have to say the Stones, at 60, rock harder than most rock bands on the radio nowadays.

One thing that attracts me to U2 lyrically is how ambiguous the lyrics are. Everyone thinks it's about something else. Even the song about Bob Hewson can be interpreted as a song to a spouse or something.

Personally I have to saw this was my favorite CD of the year, but (author's note) it's worth mentioning that U2 could record an album of nursery rhymes and I would think it was great.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

I have listened to the new U2 album, and really I wasn't that impressed.

I mean, I like all their hits (the older ones in particular). But this album just didn't do it for me.

Any place other than Guitarnoise I would probably get flamed to death for saying this, but that's why I come here. :D

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

It clearly wasn't their best. Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree are just genius. This one has its moments, but there are songs I skip. I don't skip any songs on JT or AB. Much like 2000;s All That You Can't Leave Behind, it took a few listens for this album to grow on me.

I think All Because Of You is the best song on the album, with A Man And A Woman being one of the worst U2 songs ever recorded (even worse than Miami or anything from "October").

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

He mentioned the Stones and I have to say the Stones, at 60, rock harder than most rock bands on the radio nowadays.

Bit off-topic: but from what I've seen from the performances the Stones had in Holland last year they were, with all respect for everything they've archieved in the past, pathetic. I'm not saying you can't rock after reaching a certain age, but the Stones are definitely down&over. I really feel sorry for you if your local radio can't offer anything better.

check this: http://www.silvertidemusic.com

THAT is rock.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

With all due respect. I think there are some points to acknowledge here.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=11worst

Hey Beavis, check out the cool amnimated, uh ... adimate, uh ...antimated, uh ... like-moving GIF thingy.

Yeah, huh, yeah, like ... I bet it shoots, Butthead!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

Silvertide's from Philly! My friend's girlfriend knows their drummer. Good stuff.

I saw the Stones when they came to Philly and I really was impressed. I thought it was one of the best rock shows I've been to since, well, U2.

It's not that my radio has bad music, it's just that I don't think alot of modern pop-rock bands (Good Charlotte comes to mind) and similar groups don't rock and are just posers. Having seen both GC and the Stones and a whole slew of other supposed "rock" bands, I think I can safely say for myself that the Stones can out-rock all of them while blindfolded.

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

That whole thing was a joke.

The refrence to Pantera holding all things that rock made it obvious.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

That's funny. I could have sworn it said Sepultura had the near monopoly. If it said Pantera all along, then where did I see Sepultura?

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

A lot of hate there. To bad.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

The man obviously has a problem. I think they call that adolescence. At any rate I like some of U2 but lately I can't stand what they're doing. It seems their latest works are all hook and no meat. It just seems that everything they're about now lacks any sort of integrity. Maybe I'm jaded but it does seem as though they are using a cookie cutter formula to just mass produce now. Just my opinion.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

That dude has a very interesting website I like his 5 movie rundown, but back to the U2 issue. I've never liked them I think they are WAY over rated and Bono :? Need I say anything. When I think of U2 I make the comparison to Madonna = where people are so far up her/their poop shoot they don't even see how bad she/they are/is.

Oh yes why don't i like BONO - Arrogant just think of that stupid speach he gave at the MTV europe awards when france were doing the atomic bomb testing. (I DON'T agree with Those tests AT ALL !! ) But i do believe there are certain ways of handling such issues and that's not one of them. not to mention where he goes on to say -- i sometimes need to abuse my position as singer of U2 to get ... (can't recall the rest changed the channel)

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@nathan1709)
Trusted Member

Hallelujah! I'm not the only one! There are others out there who see U2 for the pious, conceited, untalented, moralistic, holier than thou bunch of arse that they are. Yippee! I HATE U2, I HATE U2, I HATE U2, I HATE U2, I HATE U2, I HATE U2, I HATE U2, I HATE U2, I HATE U2, I HATE U2, I HATE U2, I HATE U2, I HATE U2, I HATE U2

"This is a public service announcement.....with guitars"

ReplyQuote
(@red_dwarf)
Trusted Member

Aye Caramba!

An observation from an 80's U2 fanatic:

First song I heard, I will follow. Even back in 1982 amidst all the new wave stuff that song stood out, it was really different. Saw them in a small venue in Vancouver before they became behemoths. Awesome show. The raw sound and the talent was brimming. By the time the album War came out I was completely hooked. Then came "the Unforgettable Fire", my personal favorite album. I thought how are they gonna top this one? They did with the joshua tree. At this point Bono and the Edge decided they wanted to change the sound of the band. Admirable in some ways not to want to be stagnant, but once the u2 "sound" changed, in my opinion their stuff went south. They almost broke up because Larry and Adam were resistant to changing the sound. Bono transformed too. He seemed to start acting the role of "I'm a bad boy now", but he just doesn't pull it off. His voice doesn't have that raw power, their stuff sounds contrived and flat.

Every rock band has their "joshua tree" album. It's too bad it never lasts.

"The whole purpose in life is to not be bored"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

U2 may have gone downhill since The Joshua Tree, but not that far and not that fast.....treacle downhill....The Joshua Tree was a magnificent album, and I can't think of a better one since....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3