Clear all

Uh oh

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@peejay)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've never really played an electric guitar (although I can do some chords on an acoustic), but since I got a bass a month ago, I've been thinking about trying 6-string, too. So I've been browsing around music store sites, here, etc looking for advice on what's good for a beginner for an eventual purchase (birthday in October, Christmas, whatever).

There's a 51 page thread here about the Squier '51 (and an additional thread to continue that discussion).

And now I have the option of getting one off Craigslist... :shock:

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Opinions range from "really needs to be set up with heavier strings, pickups upgraded, fret ends filed, bridge replaced" to "outstanding player right out of the box with a cool vintage vibe."

Play it first, see if it likes you.

You'll need an amp too ... I'd think the '51 plus the new Fender Champion 600 tube amp would be a great match for low cost. But this depends on the sound you're after.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@peejay)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

But this depends on the sound you're after.
I'm just getting started, I think I'll be happy with any sound that is guitar-like at this point. :lol:

I still haven't been emailed back about the craigslist guitar yet, so I'm starting to lose confidence in that one.

I'm still not 100% sure whether I want to be looking in the "cheap" (think Squier-like) range or the "better" (think Fender-like) range. I can't remember reading any posts anywhere that said "I wish I had bought something cheaper" but I've seen plenty about upgrading. Then again, the people that buy a guitar and don't play it aren't the ones posting on guitar forums either. :P

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

I'm just getting started, I think I'll be happy with any sound that is guitar-like at this point.
I'd suggest atleast playing (or getting someone to play) a few combinations out to atleast see if you like what you hear. It may not be the tone you might want after sometime but buy something that makes you want to pick up the guitar and play. I struggled with a bad amp when i started out. I guess it's not a problem to start out with something less expensive but make sure you test the gear out before you buy it. Sounds rich from someone who bought his first guitar and amp online but you live and learn. :|

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Play it first, see if it likes you.

You'll need an amp too ... I'd think the '51 plus the new Fender Champion 600 tube amp would be a great match for low cost. But this depends on the sound you're after.
I second that motion. Would run you about $350, but would be worth it.

OR - you could buy a Behringer Blue Devil and Hot Rodded Squier for $300 total that someone is selling on this forum.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote