Clear all

Vanilla Fudge and other psychedelic bands

33 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@gutfiddle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

listening to the psychedelic XM radio channel and I really "dig" this music. I am 26 so I havnt heard alot of it but it seems that this genre is more emotional and creative than anything on the radio today. Maybe it was their "acid pens" or whatever but Vanilla Fudge, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Moody Blues, Cream and some of Steve Miller and Donovan make some really cool, inspiring music. Any other bands similar to this stuff that comes to the top of your head, besides the mainstream pink floyd, hendrix, beatles stuff i have heard a zillion times.

Thinkin' bout the times we had
Some were good and some were bad
guitar fightin' the tv
i was thinkin bout you and me

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, The Doors, Arthur Lee & Love....that should give you plenty to be going on with...

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@gutfiddle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

that station just played Jimi's "Little Wing" off of Axis Bold as Love. That is one song I will learn before i die. Not familiar w/ Arthur Lee & Love but I will be soon! Thanks

guitar fightin' the tv

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Add the Zombies and Left Banke to the list as well. They can be a little more pop oriented but are good examples of mixing pop with psychodelia (if that's the word) (or a word! :wink: )

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Really, just about all the Rock music of the late 60's was Psychedelic to a degree.

Here is a list I found of the 100 top Psychedelic albums. Of course this is all opinion, but still this will give the names of many groups and albums you may be interested in.

100 Top Psychedelic Albums

One recent group that had lots of psychedelic influences is the Smashing Pumpkins.

By the way, Psychedelic is difficult to spell. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I'd have to highly recommend the Amboy Dukes, The Incredible String Band, Captain Beefheart and Blue Cheer..... :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

psychedelic isn't that difficult to spell....especially if someone has already spelled it out for you...

Interesting list Wes, I own just two albums from it - Ogden's Nut Gone Flake and Satanic Majesties - guess I'm more mainstream/classic rock oriented than I thought....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Spirit

A Beautiful Day

ReplyQuote
(@jester)
Trusted Member

I've been listening to the Technicolor Web of Sound, an Internet radio station that features a lot of psychedelic stuff ( http://www.techwebsound.com/ ), and it's really turned me on to some great music. A good example is H.P. Lovecraft, whom I'd never heard of before (the band, that is); they're somewhere high up on Wes's list. Would love to learn more about playing guitar in an acid-rock style.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Cups and Cakes by the Thamesmen :)

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Really, just about all the Rock music of the late 60's was Psychedelic to a degree.

Here is a list I found of the 100 top Psychedelic albums. Of course this is all opinion, but still this will give the names of many groups and albums you may be interested in.

100 Top Psychedelic Albums

One recent group that had lots of psychedelic influences is the Smashing Pumpkins.

By the way, Psychedelic is difficult to spell. :D

I was happy to see that the Seeds made that list, but I'd have put them higher than 59 jmo.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Don't forget Iron Butterfly

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@gutfiddle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

IN-A-GADDA-DA-VIDA HONEY! :lol: thanks for all the suggestions I have some LP shopping to do!

guitar fightin' the tv

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

King Crimson-"In the Court of the Crimson King"

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Strawberry Alarmclock, The Blues Magoos, Ultimate Spinach, Status Quo......Some of them are better off forgotten.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3