Clear all

Wall Mount Stands

22 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@fah-q)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

What are your opinions on wall mount stands? Ive heard that the weight from hanging by the neck is bad for them but everybody does it so i question that.

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

There is good info in this thread with respect to heat (proximity to lights), humidity, etc:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.makers.guitar/browse_thread/thread/121e70a803e7c246/6b101674b925b845%236b101674b925b845

I have four of them and use them all! Only my Breedlove is in a case with a humidifier right now, but it'll be out on the wall soon enough.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@fah-q)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the link now i just got to find a safe place to hang them if im limited on wall space would it better to make two rows on one wall or just hang them all around my room? I ask this because i have 3 electric guitars 2 basses and a banjo that need to be hung

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I kinda like grouping them on one wall, but that's personal preference.

For safety, be sure you get the hangers into a stud, and not just dry wall or plaster. The previous owner of my house had 6 guitars, all hung on wall hangers as well. He took a 1x4 board and mounted it horizontally across one wall, into the studs. Then he put the hangers on the board. Seems very secure to me. :)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

And if there is the least possibility that people might brush a shoulder up against your hanging guitars (or if there are any kids or klutzes in the house), may I recommend these as your choice for hanging your guitars.
For $4 more than a "standard" type, the locking feature is worth it for peace of mind.
At least to me it is.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

My lad has one of those mentioned by kent_eh in his room. It's really quite good. It's not mounted particularly high on the wall (he's only small) but it takes up a lot less real estate in his small bedroom than a normal guitar stand. I can certainly recommend one of those if you are going down the wall mount route. It seems solid enough and the mechnism will help to stop accidents.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I've been thinking about hanging all of my instruments just to give me more floor room. I've gotten my guitars and bass hangers picked out, but can't find any made for smaller necked instruments like my mandolin or dulcimer. Anybody know anything about hangers for those? I'm pretty sure a mandolin hanger would work for my dulcimer, too.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I'm up to 11 wall hangers. Among them, I have 'String Swing,' 'Hercules' and 'Off the Wall" hangers. The 'Off the Wall' hangers are by far my favorite - strong, secure, quality cushioning. Given the deep hook shape, no one will knock a guitar out of one of these. Honestly, the Hercules mechanism makes is a PITA to get the guitar out. I'm more likely to whack the headstock trying to remove it from the flipper mechanism.

EB: String Swing hangers can be bent to size. You might be able to get one of those to work for a mando or similar.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

PITA, hmm, that threw me for a minute.

I think I got it. LOL.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@ririzarry)
Eminent Member

What are your opinions on wall mount stands? Ive heard that the weight from hanging by the neck is bad for them but everybody does it so i question that.

My acoustic hangs on the wall - no problem there. I would be careful of the room in terms of heat and humidity. For example, I wouldn't hang it over a heating or cooling register or a radiator. Now I'm just trying to figure out a way to hang my headless guitar on the wall. :)

Regards,

Rob

Building the Ergonomic Guitar

Guitar Designs. Ergonomics. Guitar Making.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

For the headless...........

I have two of the normal string swings. They work great. I didn't mount them on the wall though.

ReplyQuote
(@ririzarry)
Eminent Member

For the headless...........

Thanks! Looks good.

Regards,

Rob

Building the Ergonomic Guitar

Guitar Designs. Ergonomics. Guitar Making.

ReplyQuote
(@xuelong)
Eminent Member

I have two of the normal string swings. They work great. I didn't mount them on the wall though.

Um... where did you mount them?

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

On each side of my desk. It worked out pretty good, the screws went right into the shelving support blocks.

Works for me. :D

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Mitch - I have the exact thing you mentioned that your previous home owner had... I took a 6 foot board and mounted it into the stud and thenhung my hangers fromthe wood with the spacing I wanted. Works great.

Guitars can be hung fromthe wall without any issues - and believe me, having them accessible on the wall is SO MUCH BETTER for your playing. You'll grab them much more frequently. Plus, they are off the floor and out of the way (perfect if you have kids). They only thing to worry about with higher-end guitars is that the neck/headstock joint CAN get discolored or worn from sitting on the hanger. Just a word of caution. If you have a $4500 guitar yuo might want to keep it in the case. My SG has a slight rubbed-off area where it hangs on the hanger. BUT, it doesn't have the nitro/poly finish so that might be the reason.

Anyway... as stated, make SURE the bracket is installed in WOOD and not plaster.

Those hercules hangers seem pretty good. $13.99 is NOT A BAD PRICE AT ALL.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2