Clear all

Want opinions on some tube amps

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@lion2)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone. I'm trying to buy my first tube amp and am wondering if the Bugera-V22 is any good. I really like the price on it. Another amp that I have my eye on is the Vox AC15 which is more expensive. I want an amp that is versatile and let me play anything from blues to metal. To accompany the amps I own a PodXT and an EHX Metal Muff. Any ideas?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Bugera-V22-22W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-887213-i1470775.gc

(@samer)
Eminent Member

I would avoid anything Bugera makes (some of there amps are known to catch fire)

The VOX looks nice though.

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

I'm looking for much the same thing as the OP, who mentioned he/she has a Pod XT. I love my Line 6 Pod 2.0, & I'm considering the Pod into a straigntforward solid-state power amp into a full-range 1x12. The Pod's second output would go to the PA. Simple & versatile.

Any thoughts/critiques of this approach would be welcome.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

You cannot go wrong with anything that says VOX on the front. Otherwise, Hughes & Kettner make good kit, as do Marshall (although I use a solid state Marshall MG30DFX)

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

AAAAND... I totally glossed over the words "tube amps" in the subject line....

Sorry. ADD. Don't mind me. I'll just sit over here in the corner....

Il think the Pod into clean SS power is a good option for OP to consider, however. The Pod is an amp modeler/tone shaper, as the tube amp undoubtedly will be, so neutral power lets the Pod speak more clearly, maybe. Plus as bitchen as they are, tube amps are such a headache.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

the Pod into clean SS power is a good option for OP to consider, however. The Pod is an amp modeler/tone shaper, as the tube amp undoubtedly will be, so neutral power lets the Pod speak more clearly, maybe. Plus as bitchen as they are, tube amps are such a headache.

Agree; an amp modeler into the preamp of a guitar amp can sound muddy or congested. I run my Tech 21 Liverpool pedal (Vox AC30 emulator) into the FX return jack of my amp so I bypass the preamp and use only the power stage. That's SS for me, but a tube power amp would probably be pretty nice. The give-up is volume control, so I fabricated a little line-level volume box (subject of another recent thread.)

But generally, a full-range flat-response system, like a keyboard amp or a powered PA unit, should be ideal for an amp modeler.

Of course, if the OP can disable amp modeling and use the pod only for effects, then running it straight into a guitar tube amp will work well. In that case, for "blues to metal," I'd think Marshall rather than Vox.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

I haven't tried it, but have always heard that amp modelers and tube amps aren't a good mix.

I use my digitech toy through a plain, boring, practice amp, with the EQ set flat and no gain.

It seems like these modelers are emulating as best they can the sounds of a tube amp already. Putting that through a tube amp would apply the cutting and breakup of a tube amp to the cutting and breakup of a tube amp...sounds like it would get muddy.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@boynamedsuse)

I haven't tried it, but have always heard that amp modelers and tube amps aren't a good mix.

I use my digitech toy through a plain, boring, practice amp, with the EQ set flat and no gain.

It seems like these modelers are emulating as best they can the sounds of a tube amp already. Putting that through a tube amp would apply the cutting and breakup of a tube amp to the cutting and breakup of a tube amp...sounds like it would get muddy.

Best,
Ande
I suspect that they will mix fine if you use the modeler (POD or whatever) with the FX return jack, which effectively bypasses the preamp in the tube amp.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I suspect that they will mix fine if you use the modeler (POD or whatever) with the FX return jack, which effectively bypasses the preamp in the tube amp.

You could do that if you've already got a tube amp around to use but if you were buying a new amp (at least new to you) then that seems like a waste of money. It would be better to just buy a keyboard amp, powered speaker, or something like the Tech 21 PowerEngine (SS amp designed for use with modeling pedals) and save the difference between that and the tube amp. You can pick up a good used 60 watt Tech 21 PowerEngine for around $250-275 easy and somewhat less if you're patient.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote