Clear all

the Who and half time

41 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I watched part of the super bowl (american football) just to watch the Who perform the half time show.
I am not sure why they were selected. most young people into football probably don't remember how great they were.
well, they played abbreviated version of their hits.
and they played them rather well. I enjoyed Townsend trying to manage his pedal board. he did a pretty good job.
I know how hard it is to move around a stage and get back to the board to click off the lead solo overdrive pedal.
he missed a few times.
Daltry. he looked old. really old. but I have to say he still has the best rock scream in rock history.
Teenage Wasteland was excellent!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I think they were selected because the game was on CBS and CBS's biggest shows are the CSI shows. All of those shows have a Who song as the intro music.

They sounded pretty good, except Pete's vocals on the first song. But, I think there were sound issues w/ people not being able to hear themselves because both singers pre-game had trouble too.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I caught part of it and enjoyed it immensely. From what I saw, they were in good form.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

There were some rough edges. We watched the game with our friends and neighbors from up the street. He and I share a lot of similar music tastes despite being 15 years apart, but neither of our wives enjoyed the performance. My wife didn't enjoy that Live At Leeds show vic and I spoke of in another thread, so tka ehtat for what it's worth.

I kind of like the melody style for the situation. They've got so many songs to choose from and we got to hear a bunch of partial efforts. I don't think I'll take a point off that.

Unlike our wives, I thought Daltry's vocals were just fine.

Overall, I think that there were a couple of rough patches or missed cues...whatever. Nice light show. If I had to rank their performance in a 1-5 scale, I'd have to be a 3 or 4. I think the rough spots took away from it some. I'll have to find the link on the NFL or CBS site if they have it. I'll share it if I find one.

I've never been one to keep up with the times, but I though Pete was a SG/LP guy.

Why the Who? I dunno. Tough call. Big name draw? 10 years ago it might have made sense. Entwhistle was still alive, so it was 3/4 or the classic line-up. I do like the single performer 1/2 time performance rather than the 3-4 act line-ups of last decade. I think they went too far with the pleasing everyone mind-set.

I think it should be some big time Americana one year. Blue-grass. Bring out some fiddles, mandolins, banjos, stand up basses (or maybe even that moonsine jig thing with the stick). Heck, maybe even that Rednex Version of Copper Eyed Joe. That place would be hopping. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Who knows how long this will be up:

part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6Io05fTLSg
part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCqgtb3Nby4&feature=related

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I thought it was pretty good as far as real live performances go -- no lip-synching, which has become pretty common at the SB.

OTOH, I don't think it had very wide appeal. I've heard that most of the below 35 crowd thought it was a snore.

RP: Pete's been using a Strat for quite some time -- it's now even sold as a signature model, recognizable by the extra volume knob behind and below the bridge. that controls the "acoustic" (piezo?) pup system in the bridge.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

yeah. I liked hios strat. looked like Lace Sensor pickups..like mine.. I noticed he kept the selector switch on the bridge pickup setting. great tone Petey.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I used to like the Who alot but I'm not sure why they choose them it's 2010, their songs are good but I'm sorry rock n roll is a young man's game they could have found someone more current.

Something seemed pre-recorded and supposedly the rhythym was all prerecorded and Pete played over that. I have to be honest to me it looked like those windmill strums where fake too. I didn't even see his hand near the strings but supposedly he did hit those live.

It was mediocre at best. The visual effects were the bet part.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The windmill strums didn't match up with the chords he was supposed to be hitting. He didn't even do a windmill every time we heard it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Seems like I didn't really miss a lot then. I have Direct TV and there is a broadcast station that is CBS that is within 50 miles of my house so no CBS for me unless I get an antenna. Not gonna do that. I missed the whole thing, Who and all. :(

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Ric and Chris: there was a second guitar player on stage, but he was in the shadows most of the time. also keys, and (of course) bass. so nothing had to be pre-recorded, as there were enough players. but that doesn't rule it out.

my fave SB lip synch was Shania Twain's. she actually stopped and spoke to someone in the audience while her "singing" continued. almost looked as if she was making a point.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I thought this was the best Super Bowl half time show in a loooong time.

And todays youth knows the songs, they just don't know it....All of the CSI shows use the Who in their themes :D :D

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

No the rhythm was all prerecoded all those musicians were not playing "live" including the guitars off to the side and the drummer.

Personally the whole thing look prerecorded except for the singing.

Time to put a fork in the Who they're done!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I've just watched both parts through again and don't agree that they were miming. The windmills matched up to the chords, as far as I could see.

Another pointer, is that they bothered to turn all the amps on. You don't do that, if people are miming, the crowd won't see the control lights under the lighting effects and, unless you're actually looking for them, neither will a TV audience. Townshend had a stack pointing backwards and those amps were on, too.

You often see that, when groups are miming, they set up the amps, but leave out the mikes, particularly on the drums. Townshend's amps were miked and so were the drums.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I'm only going by what was reported on various websites that I read and it still sounded too clean to be live there's no way they would have gotten that sound live.

I don't know about the windmills like I mentioned supposedly Pete was the only musician playing live but I still say he never even came close to hitting the strings on some of those.

But even if it wasn't canned it still was about a 5 on a scale of 1 - 10 at best.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3