Notifications
Clear all

the Who and half time

41 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

After some further consideration and quite a few more viewings, I still have to hang my hat on the "not a whole lot was pre-recorded" hook. With the loads of logistics involved in getting orver-the-air quality and stadium quality must have been enormous.

As far as them being "The Who", I to think it went by the wayside after Entwhistle passed on. I'm not always like that. I enjoyed watching Foreigner a few years back when Mick Jones was the only one left from the classic line-up. Kelly Hansen was Kelly Hansen, not Lou Grahamand I think people dug it. Heck, I knew a few people at the show. Talking with them after the fact, they had no clue that we were watching Def Lep. Back to the Who being legit, I don;t care a whole lot, either.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I simply wasn't impressed.

The songs are good enough, but the show itself lacked the energy and sheer joy of last year's Springsteen show.

And the stage show itself struck me as ludicrously self-serving. "The Who" constantly dancing around the light show -- as if no one knew who the band could be? And if that's the case why have them play at all? Then we get the graphic of the classic windmill stance, my only thought was "Gee, a little more self-referencing please, I'm not sure I get it."

I found it to be mediocre at best.

However, I really didn't expect more than mediocre so I can't say I'm disappointed.
Almost exactly my thoughts, though I admit I did have high hopes before the show.

I hear that next year they're going to do a Yardbirds reunion. Page, Clapton and Beck will dance around Keith Relf's coffin. Which will be mic'd, of course.
:roll:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

slej: extending this, how 'bout a show with Relfs, Ox, Laine, Bolan, Jimi, Janis, Brown, Atkins, Elvis, Collins, Jones, Barrett, Orr, Dimebag, Muddy, Bo, Pickett, Wilson (D), Moony, King (A), Bonham (J), George & John, George (L), Miles, Walter (Lil), Hatfield, Reed, Bird ….

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

slej: extending this, how 'bout a show with Relfs, Ox, Laine, Bolan, Jimi, Janis, Brown, Atkins, Elvis, Collins, Jones, Barrett, Orr, Dimebag, Muddy, Bo, Pickett, Wilson (D), Moony, King (A), Bonham (J), George & John, George (L), Miles, Walter (Lil), Hatfield, Reed, Bird ….

That's.....sort of....been done already. Ever read the Stephen King short story, "You know they got a hell of a band?" It's been filmed as well, as part of the "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" series.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

That's a lot of big egos on stage at once. Probably should call up some extra dead security/cops. :)

About the Who: I was delighted to see Roger & Pete alive & onstage. That was the big issue. Live vs. prerecorded? The band has played to prerecorded backup tracks since before Keith died. I was watching Pete's hands closely -- not during the windmills, which are pure theater, but during his little breaks between vocal phrases, & I saw no reason to assume those were prerecorded. If they were going to prerecord anything, they should have prerecorded Roger's vocals. He sounded pretty bad in places.

Operatic sopranos routinely sing ingenue rolls into their 60s. Blues/jazz /classical cats keep playing right up to the edge of the grave. If Pete & Roger want to push on, more power to them.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

That's.....sort of....been done already. Ever read the Stephen King short story, "You know they got a hell of a band?" It's been filmed as well, as part of the "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" series.....

:D :D :D

Vic

didn't consider it was a original idea (S.K. is already pretty derivative :wink: ) -- more interesting as an exercise to see what names would pop into mind. obviously too many, esp if I keep going on jazz and blues.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

The Who seems to agree with some of the criticism.

http://www.spinner.com/2010/02/12/the-who-slam-super-bowl-performance/?icid=main|htmlws-main-w|dl2|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spinner.com%2F2010%2F02%2F12%2Fthe-who-slam-super-bowl-performance%2F

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

So my son walks into the office yesterday afternoon and plops downs. Mr. Modern Heavy Metal Guy takes an occasional dive back into the Classic Rock world. Kind of a surprising one this time. He wanted any of my Who CDs. I'm thinking that perhaps all the hoop-la about this and their video game release got them some hot publicity. At any rate, I'm now curious to hear what he has to say. I gave him 1/2 the collection. Playing it safe. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Who is on first?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

What?

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

No, Watt is on second.
Hoo is on first.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3