What Are Your Best Songs?

18 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

I've been playing 1 year in March.

Songs I can play the best:

#1.1 Is Wish You Were Here, with GOOD singing and no solo ;) I didn't even know the song a few months ago despite being a Pink Floyd fan (mainly The Wall if I'm honest). Being able to whack out the whole thing and sing it always raises my spirits. I'm thinking of writing a new verse or two too, because that single chorus bugs me :D

#1.2 House of the Rising Sun with arpeggios is always recognisable, easy to sing and play (except to my girlfriend whose musical knowledge is chart based only).

#1.3 Jack Johnson - Banana Pancakes. I love the relaxed pace and lyrics of this blissful song. JJ is always great for a solo guitar player, because its mostly just him and the guitar. Check out the album In Between Dreams. Classic.

Songs I like to play for fun/chops:

#2.1 Sweet Child o Mine has to be up there, but its far from polished to a standard I can vouch for. All the bends and such in the solo's are impressive for someone who knows nothing.

#2.2 Distubed - Striken is what I'm currently working on. I've had to put it on hold though because theres a lot of sliding 1 finger power chords up and down the fretboard and my poor finger has been sore. I know it all the way to the solo (which I also 'know'), and its the first dirty sounding hard rock song I know. Its crazy fast too, so I can only play it decently at about 70-80% speed.

#2.3 Jack Johson - No Other Way. Crazy amount of finger picking required, sounds awesome though. Singing over it is very tough, but I'm slowly working on it. I'll post a soundclick file soon. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

You know, this post has kind of opened my eyes to the fact that I really don't have that many songs completely memorized :shock: ... I know TONS of riffs, and probably 50 or so songs that I know at least 75% of or so. I think the problem is that I haven't performed or been in a band in a couple years, but I'd love to get back into it. As far as full songs go I think I could pretty confidently play the rhythm guitar to "Enter Sandman" by Metallica. Nevertheless I think I'm gonna incorporate playing full songs into my regular practice, there are alot of songs that I could play.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

You know, this post has kind of opened my eyes to the fact that I really don't have that many songs completely memorized :shock: ... ............

Yeah, I was corrected of this by another GN'er. With a twist though. I can sing and play a ton of songs in some sort of single guitar arrangement in their entirety. "Memorizing" them is a different story. I bet you if I got rid of my chord sheets that might be a different story.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2