Skip to content
What did you think ...

Notifications
Clear all

What did you think of the Stones at the half time show?

55 Posts
27 Users
0 Likes
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I was a little dissapointed. They just weren't very exciting. Satisfaction made it better, but there wasn't much energy (I'm not sure whether that was the crowd or them, I have a hard time imagining it was Mick Jagger, lol)

I felt they didn't even compare to Paul last year, his Live and Let Die will go down as one of the best half time shows.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Taso,

I'm with you. Although Keith and Ron Wood both had their
moments I was most impressed with Charlie Watts.

He did an excellent job IMHO

Wood could have laid off the whammy bar in
Satisfaction. It seemed a little much next to
Keith's more tasteful soloing.

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

I agree. They lack presence on the stage now and I really think they need to retire. They're old, and don't age gracefully like clapton...there's a guy who can keep going with his mellow shows (think cream at royal albert hall)

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I know live is different than recording, but make the effort to hit the notes.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

My brother wasn't impressed. I liked the Stones performance, but didn't have the energy that I was hoping for. Stevie Wonder and company seemed to have lots more energy.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

It was the producers fault at the beginning. He focused too much on the tongue (ooohhh big suprise there was people under there!!!!!:roll: )...

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

My main complaint was the sound was NOT GOOD! I have high def TV and even with the sound cranked up to a level that my old deaf ears can usually hear, the sound faded in and out. Anyay it was still a chance to see guys a couple of years older than me playin Rock and Roll and that is a good thing!
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

god, just last year, they were wanting a couple hundred bucks for stones tickets,
in 67,68, 69, i would have given anything, its time to retire. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Well, we will always have next year: The American Idol All-Stars!!! For Nick - They'll sing in tune. For JasonColucci & rocker - they're young. Let's just pray to GOD that the Super Bowl never moves to FOX.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I found the soundwork unbearable -- all the dynamics sucked (well compressed) right out of the sound.

Yeah, live ain't recorded, but this performance was a bit off. Charlie Watts was the best part of it. Solid guy, that Charlie.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Anybody notice Woody's Zemaitis "Tele" ?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I agree. They lack presence on the stage now and I really think they need to retire. They're old, and don't age gracefully like clapton...there's a guy who can keep going with his mellow shows (think cream at royal albert hall)

It sounds like they did a lousy show at the Superbowl. But I saw them in 2002 and in 2005. Believe me, they don't lack stage presence. They were both good shows and their musicianship was superb. In fact, in 2005 the show was even better. Live Licks gives a nice taste of how they sounded in 2002. And A Bigger Bang is a very fine lp. Again, I'm not taking issue with your assessment of the Superbowl show, but I disagree with your generalization about their need to retire. They're going strong on the road. I'm disappointed to hear that they messed up their Superbowl appearance.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i thought mick had plenty of energy as usual.
the sound was horrible but improved and then faded from time to time.
just seemed patchy and compressed to me, Paul paid more attention to how his sound would translate to the TV crowd imo.
i have to agree with Gnease totally.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

The sound was bad at times, but that wasn't The Stone's fault. What I was disappointed in, was Keith & Ron's guitar work. Keith horribly messed up the beginning to "Start Me Up"! That whole song felt like it was about to come to a skreeching hault at any second. Hit the right notes Keith! By the time they got to "Satisfaction", it was alittle better, but they just play so lazily, kinda like they're bored with the songs. I think Mick & Charlie really held the performance together & it won't go down as the worst half-time show, but I think they had a great chance to really show their stuff, and blew it.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I really didn't like it. I'm not a Stones fan, but I was very disapointed anyway. Sound was bad, playing was bad, and poor old Mick couldn't hit a note if he tried. I expected much more.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4