Skip to content
What Things Are You...

Notifications
Clear all

What Things Are You Working On Now, And Why?

61 Posts
33 Users
0 Likes
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Okay, so I havn't gotten any of the original things I listed done yet....
I have three new song ideas since yesterday:

No Joy for Jody ~ Something I said to Mel Tuesday, by Wednesday on the road it had become a song idea.
'No Joy' and 'Jody' are both military terms.... I plan on using real 'Jodies' in the song.... Now I just gotta make it work!
My first instinct was to contact Neil (Chefie), and see if he might take on the lyrical idea with me.
Hmmmmm....

After the Storm ~ Just the seed of an idea right now.... something I heard on the news last night.

Cry Uncle ~ A song about Father Figures.
I lost an Uncle of mine one month ago tomorrow.... We were very close.
Tomorrow, I'm probably going to get the news that another close uncle of mine has died out in AZ.
They were both very influential, and have helped greatly to shape me and my 'method' of fathering.

I have the chord structure and musical ideas .... and some lyrics and the direction.

I have the day off, and no 'BooBoo' today.... though I'm a bit busy with spring cleaning.
Work tomorrow and my son all weekend....
When to record :(

Oh well.
Just thought I'd update ya's.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member

Currently working on grasping 6/8 time, and Classical Gas. (Fifth year of playing- about time I had a go at that.) Want to learn how to read tab. I can already read standard music notation...not up to speed, but I can read it.

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Great thread.

First, congrats to Chris on joining a band at the age of 61. That is AWESOME! :D

I joined a new band about 4 months ago called Burnfoot Dazzle. It was named after a dog's tombstone in a pet cemetary. But we just call ourselves "the Dazz". I am excited about this band because I have always wanted to play with a good keyboard player. Our keyboard player Dmitri is a co-worker. We have 5 people where I work who play in bands, pretty cool. Anyway, the Dazz's original guitar player refused to play clubs, so they asked me to join. We have been working on lots of new material:

Evil Ways- Santana
Hold Your Head Up- Argent
It Don't Come Easy- Ringo Starr
Call Me the Breeze- J.J. Cale
Roll Over Beethoven- Chuck Berry
Got To Get You Into My Life- Beatles
Back In the USSR- Beatles
Can't Get It Out of My Head- ELO
We Gotta Get Outta This Place- The Animals
My Girl
Mustang Sally

Lots more, but I really can't think of them right now. But I am having a blast, it is great having some great keyboards and Rock N Roll piano to play against. And these guys are letting me cut loose on guitar, something I couldn't do in my last group. And also, everybody sings, we get some great harmonies going.

We've got a gig for July 4th, so we are working hard, we have been practicing once a week, but are planning on practicing twice a week through June to get ready. I am real excited about the new group and really like the more colorful material.

Here is their old site. We have Dmitri on keyboards, Mark on bass, Keith on drums, and myself guitar.

http://members.cox.net/mebombard/bfd_gallery1.htm

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Great thread.

First, congrats to Chris on joining a band at the age of 61. That is AWESOME! :D

Thanks Wes. :D

I'd like to point out that one of the biggest reasons that I was able to do that was because of something that I once read on a forum. It was a piece of advice that said that the single most important element of being a musician in a band was being able to keep in time. The post said that if you could keep time then you could play in a group, and that all the other elements of music could be added and built up in small simple steps. So when I first had the opportunity to try and play with other people I kept that firmly in mind. I kept in time, played very simple things, and let the others take the front. And then worked up from there. I will forever be grateful for that advice, which not only gave me the nerve to try out at all, but which turned out to be so effective. (Of course, that advice came from you Wes, here at GN. :mrgreen: )

I joined a new band about 4 months ago called Burnfoot Dazzle.
---

Lots more, but I really can't think of them right now. But I am having a blast, it is great having some great keyboards and Rock N Roll piano to play against. And these guys are letting me cut loose on guitar, something I couldn't do in my last group. And also, everybody sings, we get some great harmonies going.

Sounds excellent. Especially the singing - I gotta do something about working on that, it makes such a difference, both to the sound and the stories you can tell, but also to the fun you can have with it. Anybody got a decent set of second hand vocal chords for sale??

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Hey Wes,

Were are you guys playing on the 4th? Is it a private party or somewhere public? I'd like to come here the new band. Glad to hear your getting more room to play.

Good to hear your having fun!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Chris (cnev)

Yes, it is a private party, but I am allowed to invite friends just like everyone else. :D

You know, if you come, I am going to get you up there on stage. Yep, you are gonna play brother. :twisted:

I'll get you the details on time and location as soon as I get them. Anybody else interested, let me know.

And Chris C, I am glad I was an encouragement, but when it comes right down to it, it was you that made it happen. Lots of folks would like to be in a band and dream about it, but you have to take action and make it happen, nobody will do it for you. So congrats once again and keep us posted on gigs or any recordings you do. Bands are lots of fun, but they are hard work and sometimes frustrating and discouraging as well, just like playing guitar. But the reward is great.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Iron Maiden - Run To The Hills and Hallowed Be Thy Name
Black Sabbath - Country Girl
Judas Priest - The Ripper

Why - Metal Rules!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Something that got said to me tonight - "well if you think you're such a good guitarist, and songwriter, and singer, why haven't you ever had a hit?"

Well - maybe I haven't had a hit - and maybe I'll never make a penny out of playing guitar - but that's not what keeps me going. I used to have dreams of making it big as a rock star - but those dreams faded a long time ago. I'd settle for playing rhythm, in a band, doing cover songs - as long as I could persuade them to do one or two of my songs every now and then.

So what am I working on, and why? Some of MY songs - the why's unclear, I've given up the rock'n'roll dreams, but every now and then, when I write something I think isn't bad, the muse says, " keep at it...."

And I've never been a quitter - so what if my songs don't make it? At least I'll have the satisfaction of knowing I wrote something good.....

Oh and by the way I've had LOTS of hits on Soundclick - might not have brought me any money, but it sure is fun when yoiu see your name high up in the charts......

Rock'n'roll's supposed to be about having fun!

Never forget that!

So, back to working on my own songs - might have a rough demo of one by the morning.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Great response Vic. I used to write songs all the time, now, not at all. Keep jammin em out.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

Working on - All the scales i know

A couple of tips from Joe Satriani's book
Sunshine of your love

Why- to become better of course

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, some changes already for me too. On the first page, about 1/2 down, I had two lists. I replaced the 5th song on the second list with The River by Springsteen. I also brought to life List 3 and played that in between pharmacutical endeavers. Here's list 3.

American Girl
The Weight
Still The Same
Tin Man
Brain Damage
Eclipse
Against The Wind
Angie
Dock Of The Bay
Wonderful Tonight
East Bound And Down
Wish You Where Here
Maggie May
Fool (If You Think It's Over
All I Can Do Is Write About It
Joe's Garage
Sympathy For The Devil
Killing Me Softly
No Rain
Comfortably Numb
Running Down A Dream

Not sure which one it will be, but I think one or two of the 'Floyd tunes gotta go to a later list. Initial thought is Brain Damage and Eclipse. Oh, and Joe's garage has a few quick and dirtry solos I'm going yo have to master. Well, this is now allm added.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@fever-and-hum)
Eminent Member

What a great post. I sat down and thought I would make up a set or two myself. In a very short time I realized how many songs I know, almost complete. I thought I knew them, but when I sat down and played the entire song I would fall just short on about half of them. I am now making two lists. One complete and one too finish.
AS far as what I'm working on now.

Everybody Hurts -- REM. Again, easy to play but hard to sing.

I must thank everyone from GN for this is the reason I am advancing as fast as I have. I am playing in front of strangers now and that is something I never thought would happen.

Re: Everybody Hurts--My sentiments exactly. No vocal cues. It is easy to play, but you really have to have it down and on auto pilot before you can sing the words.

I am working on Paul Simon, The Boxer. Mostly to practice fingerpicking, and because I like the song very much.
Scarborough Fair--I would like to learn "the full song", with the 10 or so verses. Like most traditional folk songs theres probably more verses than I have discovered to date. It's an interesting folk song.

And I'm practicing a couple of my own songs in my mind. One has come out already. The others are a slow gestation...

Fever

ReplyQuote
(@swwhit)

Wes - I'm sincerely pleased that you have joined the Dazz. I the photo with the SG and said to myself "I like this guy already" !

My passion (and energy) for playing gigs has long expired, and I hated to be a wet blanket for the rest of the guys who wanted to do more gigs of all kinds. They are, as you know, great people and a lot of fun to jam with, and now they can move forward and begin to build up their fan base with live concerts and extravaganzas .

Looking forward to seeing you guys play out sometime - hopefully you are doing a Labor Day "tour"?

- Scott W
Burnfoot Dazzle Guitar Corp, retired

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member

As of right now, I don't play other peoples songs, only my own original compositions(which has gotten better from hearing
other peoples songs) and when I get inspired, I work on it until rhythmic and engaging. Right now I'm working on the words for a few compositions I have.

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

As of right now, I don't play other peoples songs, only my own original compositions(which has gotten better from hearing
other peoples songs) and when I get inspired, I work on it until rhythmic and engaging. Right now I'm working on the words for a few compositions I have.

Self-fulfillment's where it's at. Try the bathtub for lyrics. (No...don't try to TALK to it...I mean soak in there with pen and pad.)

Woiks fer me!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5