Clear all

What's up with the radio stations?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

The radio stations in Cincinnati just seem to move to new frequencies quite often without rhyme or reason, and they don't tell their listeners.

Maybe someone who works/worked for a radio station can shed some light on this.

There was a station that I listened to quite frequently that all of a sudden had a different genre of music on it. Country went to happy up beat 80's/90's pop. Now don't get me wrong, the station that took over that frequency is good so I really didn't notice until later that they weren't playing country music.

I had to do a scan of the radio to find out where the station went. I found it finally, but it was just weird. Do they know in advance if they are changing frequencies, and if they do, why not inform their listeners, it just seems like common sense.

It's not an uncommon occurrence here to have them change like that, and was just wondering why that happens.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

it's a little game they play to maximize claimable market share as measured by Arbitron (A.C. Nielsen of the Radio biz). market share is higher => prices for adverts can be higher. often the format change occurs with a change of program managers. the new one comes in with new ideas for increasing marker share -- mostly based on the same radio industry biz rags they all read, sells it to the owner/board and away they go ....

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@mahal)
Estimable Member

But why is it done without announcement? TV and print you know well ahead of time of a schedule change or new print format but on radio they will continue to promo a show and the next day a new format will be installed.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I work for a TV station and we have 2 stations and run news on them at two different times and we make sure that everyone knows that we are on two stations and when to switch over and such. So much so that it's really annoying.

I would think that Radio stations would do the same thing, Leads me to believe that they didn't know in advance.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

it is sometimes the case that nobody but the new staff and executive management knows about the format switch. have seen it happen. also have seen it happen with advertising and notice. I can think of reasons pro and con for each case ...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, definitely pros and cons, I can see where being in a certain frequency range will get more listeners, and I think that being around other popular stations in the area in that range could be beneficial

ReplyQuote