Notifications
Clear all

Where have all the good bands gone?

26 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

The tough part will be thinking of ones who will be around in 10 years. I like most of the metal and rock out now, but I'm not sure about some of the bands longevity.

Seether
Keith Urban (he's been around for awhile, but I'd say he's "made it" more recently and hopefully will stick around)
Cross Canadian Ragweed (I really dig them and hope they really take off and last)

Most of the others I really like now have been around longer than 3 years.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

If you're checking Radiohead out, try the album OK Computer. Fantastic.

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

One more for Robert Randolph here -- and I'll add Johnny A.

I like The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol and Gorillaz, but am not convinced they will last.

All the other "new" bands to which I listen just are not that new: Wilco, Modest Mouse, Beth Orton, Barenaked Ladies, NIN, Bela Fleck, Ben Folds, The Flaming Lips ....

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Franz Ferdinand is a lot of fun. And there is an "Irish Metal" band that my son introduced me to, who's name I can't remember...

Maroon 5 could last if they stay on track.

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

**putting on protective gear**

okay i think avril lavigne's gonna stay around for another 10 years - if she keeps herself together

i think godmsack will be around for another 10 years
i guess i could go with seether aswell
Norah jones too

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

i agree, norah jones will be making music in 10 years, and gorillaz if they don't break up. robert randolph, though... he's so good you almost have to assume he's going to die young. avril lavigne will be around in 10 years, too, sadly enough. if you need proof, realize that brittany spears has been around since 98.

ReplyQuote
 Moai
(@moai)
Estimable Member

Turbonegro will probably still be around, and they are amazing live.

Ween, same as above.

Motorhead will probably still be around, too. They'll have to wheel Lemmy out onstage, but he'll be there!

Bettie Page is the most beautiful woman who ever lived. You better recognize, G!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

There are still a lot of good bands around. You probably won't get to hear of them, because they don't fit into the mould of what is "hot" this week. Currently, if it moves it's head up and down like a psychotic parrot, dresses like Sly Stallone's mother and warbles like Mariah Carey on ecstacy, it will be given a tag of "R&B" (i.e. Rubbish & Bollocks) and get a mutli zillion dollar contract. It it plays an instrument and produces melodious tones, it's "OUT" and gets shown the door. You'll only get to hear what will generate short-term cash for the record companies.
Cynical but true.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

Amen to that Greybeard, I particularly like your description of "R&B" LMAO :D :D

The only thing that keeps me from realising my full potential is the depressing awareness that it wouldn't take much time or effort...

ReplyQuote
(@slashfan)

Arcade Fire.
The Hold Steady
The Used
The Weakerthans
The Music
Just to name a few.....Of course there is good being pumped out, there always will be.....You're just less likely to to find it on the weekly Top 40 list! Just look around yourself unstead of listening to what mainstream media is feeding, or hell, here is a good idea... make your own....lol...

Cheers

And Gods name is Smack for some

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I like motorhead rather 8)

''Its all about the game and how you play it'' YEAH :wink:

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2