Clear all

Who's ever stolen the...

23 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

No, never did that (but my smoke detectors are hard wired to the home's electrical service!).

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

LMAO! I don't actually own any FX pedals, so that's not an issue - but I have been known to "borrow" a battery or two from the nearest wall clock to power my tuners......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Yup, I've borrowed one or two in my day.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Oh yeah, gotta have that 9 Volt! :D

How many of you test your 9Vs by sticking them on your tongue?

My Dad was an electronics tech and taught me that when I was a boy. I always get a chuckle because some people seem terrified of doing it. In my last band, all the guys used to throw batteries to me and ask if they were any good. I would just stick them on my tongue, and tell them if it was weak or strong. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Wes, ever try that with a 1-Spot?
:lol:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

No, only 9 volts! I'm insane, but I'm not crazy!

More than once I have stuck a spare 9 volt in my pocket before a gig, it shorts out on a coin and gets red hot. :shock:

That will get your attention quick, so I learned to put them in a pocket without any coins in it.

Seriously, just stick your tongue on the 9V, it tingles, that's all. I can tell a weak battery from a strong one easily.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

I remember my dad having me put my tongue on a 9 volt once! He had an electronics backround as well...

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I've done that, too. Not often enough to be able to tell the difference between strong and weak batteries though. :lol:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

My dad also exposed me to the 9 volt on the tongue.... he wasn't into electronics, just got a kick out of other peoples pain I think.... :twisted:

But yeah, I'll still do it from time to time.

My elementary school science teacher used to get a kick out of having students hold the leads coming from this little wooden box while another kid turns the handle.....OUCH! I bet you couldn't get away with that in school anymore. :shock:

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

As a kid I used to do the 9V on the tongue, and two fingers of one hand across 120VAC with the rest of my body very carefully kept out of the circuit and ungrounded, for amusement. Quit doing the latter when one night, presumably in a dream, I rolled over and grabbed the bare terminals of the porcelain socket I had my GE AR-1 argon discharge lamp nightlight in with BOTH hands, sending a strong shock across my chest! I rolled off on the floor on the opposite side of my large (and tall) bed, wondering if I was still alive. Heck of a way to wake up. I think I threw the lamp and broke it, necessitating replacement of the bulb as well.

One thing very quickly noticeable when testing the 120VAC with bare fingers is the enormous difference in resistance of dry and sweaty skin. Sweaty fingers get a very stout jolt, whereas very dry skin just tingles a little.

Take my word for it, don't try it at home, kids.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

As a kid I used to do the 9V on the tongue, and two fingers of one hand across 120VAC with the rest of my body very carefully kept out of the circuit and ungrounded, for amusement. Quit doing the latter when one night, presumably in a dream, I rolled over and grabbed the bare terminals of the porcelain socket I had my GE AR-1 argon discharge lamp nightlight in with BOTH hands, sending a strong shock across my chest! I rolled off on the floor on the opposite side of my large (and tall) bed, wondering if I was still alive. Heck of a way to wake up. I think I threw the lamp and broke it, necessitating replacement of the bulb as well.

One thing very quickly noticeable when testing the 120VAC with bare fingers is the enormous difference in resistance of dry and sweaty skin. Sweaty fingers get a very stout jolt, whereas very dry skin just tingles a little.

I'll take your word for it (unless it also stimulates the hair folicles....then I'm game)....

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

My father was an electrician and when I would ask him how to tell if the power was on he would say "Touch it and find out!" :lol:

I use adapters for my pedals so I only used to steal the smoke detector battery for my tuner but the one I have now takes a aaa I think.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Couldn't you afford an alarm clock?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Didn't need an alarm clock. My dad would let my dog in and she'd run upstairs, whine and lick my face till I got up. :D
I'll take your word for it (unless it also stimulates the hair folicles....then I'm game)....
Look at my picture and guess.

They always told me I'd better brush my teeth if I didn't want them to fall out. I was pretty good about brushing my teeth, but not my hair.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

My father got his kid brother to urinate on an electric fence once. One of the highlights of my life. :twisted: :twisted:

Oh, and to answer the original question, No. Never done that. I have been known to take the covers of smoke detectors in hotel rooms to use as ash-trays. I was much younger then......times were different.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2