Notifications
Clear all

Why is metal called metal ?

30 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@blueline)
Noble Member

...The term Heavy Metal in Rock music was popularized mostly in the late 60's. I think this term was especially applied to Rock characterized by "power chords" played especially on the bass strings, highly amplified into overdrive or distortion. It is true power chords were around beforehand, but Pete Townshend and The Who made this sound popular. To me being around at the time (I'm old), Cream was the first Metal band. Listen to Sunshine of Your Love, Tales of Brave Ulyesses, and White Room, these songs were incredibly "heavy" sounding for their time. They still sound pretty heavy. ...And then came Black Sabbath. Black Sabbath more than any other band brought this form of music to popularity. Iron Man, Paranoia, the entire first Black Sabbath album was drenched in this heavy power chord music. So I think Black Sabbath should receive the most credit for this genre of music. ...

Wes has hit the right chord here. (pun intended) Since I also belong to the "I'm old" club, I have to agree that Black Sabbath shoud receive credit for ushering heavy metal into the music world. Nobody had that sound at the time. NOBODY. Sabbath tied the sound to the image.

As stated in the above posts, the meaning of what sound constitues heavy metal has changed as the genre has matured and expanded. But to add to what Wes has started, back in the late 60's early 70's you knew if a band was "Metal" or not. There was no question. Compare Sabbath to Elton John. No question. In today's musical landscape, the genre has split so many times, it is no longer as distinct as it once was.

Growing up I remember hearing terms like "Acid Rock". Bands like Alice Cooper used to be pigeon holed into that category. I even remember seeing Frank Zappa on the cover of an "Acid Rock" magazine. Go figure. My point is this, many terms have come and gone, metal has stuck around. To determine the meaning of what Heavy Metal is..depends on who you ask. AGE 35> will tell you something different than AGE 34<. (give or take a few years)

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I'd agree with ken that the line in Born to be Wild had nothing to do with the term heavy metal as it applies to rock. It was a reference to motorcycles, most likely Harley's. BTBW to me is a biker anthem abiut getting on your bike and just riding and living free without rules.

Anyway I think Black Sabbath really was the beginning of TRUE metal. LZ and The Who and even Cream played some somewhat heavy songs but to me none of them would be considered metal.

Over the years the genre has gotten heavier and heavier and bands like Slayer and Pantera and Metallica etc would be considered metal.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I'd agree with ken that the line in Born to be Wild had nothing to do with the term heavy metal as it applies to rock. It was a reference to motorcycles, most likely Harley's. BTBW to me is a biker anthem abiut getting on your bike and just riding and living free without rules.

Anyway I think Black Sabbath really was the beginning of TRUE metal. LZ and The Who and even Cream played some somewhat heavy songs but to me none of them would be considered metal.

Over the years the genre has gotten heavier and heavier and bands like Slayer and Pantera and Metallica etc would be considered metal.

So to prove if my theory is correct..cnev...what age group do you fall into?

A- 35 or older
B- 34 or younger?

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Stuff changes. Who would consider BB King R&B now?

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

My body is in A

My mind is in B

But I agree with Sleutelbos, things and definitions change. Maybe in their time LZ or Who would be considered metal but not by today's standards.

I realize all these are just labels and don't mean much but for the most part if it's being played on commercial radio it ain't heavy metal. 99% of would never be heard on the radio.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

Dave Davies once said: "Gee, they didn't call it heavy metal when i invented it."

As far as the Steppenwolf connection. I've always been a big Steppenwolf fan, and I consider "Born To Be Wild" one of the first heavy metal songs released, but it's not like it was the opening of the door to a new genre in music. Back then, it was considered hard rock, not heavy metal.

There are many rock bands that were blues-based that fell into that hard rock classification in the late 60's/early 70's due to the volume of the sound during performances, and also the amount of screaming the singer had to do to be heard.

The funniest thing about musical genres was that when Heavy Metal became a catagory in the Grammy awards (as if that particular organization has ever gotten anything right), so was Rap. Some rappers were complaining that it took too long for Rap to be recognized by the Grammy's, although Heavy Metal had been around for close to 20 years.

The best way to pin a date on it's conception would be to research the music press, and find out who first coined the term "Heavy Metal". The first time I remember it was to describe bands like Deep Purple and Black Sabbath, but I couldn't say which albums. I'd have to estimate this one and say 1971. But I would not doubt one bit that I'm wrong.

As far as "what is heavy metal music?" I'd define it as guitars playing major chords, box riffs, sometimes tuned down a half-step and playing very loud. Sometimes with distortion. Bass lines that usually follow the guitar riffs. Drums that are usually fast, but always full in the sound and presence of the band. Occaisional keyboards such as organ or synthesizers. And a singer that can scream his/her head off, whenever necessary.

And don't forget the tatoos.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, as I was thinking over this, I got an idea.

Metals are generally associated with being heavy and most of them are heavy (with few exceptions...). So suppose if you took a steel rod and hit someone hard, he would certainly be surprised and may get injured as well.

Similarly metal or <add adjective here> metal is supposed to shock the average listener and hit his ears really hard with loud or harsh music. So that might be the reason 'metal' term can be taken for such kind of music.

Just an opinion.

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

At 49, heavy metal music brings back happy childhood memories. I listen to Heavy Metal when I feel like bobbin' my head up and downwith a big smile on my face.

Nothing shocks me. Really.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

The funniest thing about musical genres was that when Heavy Metal became a catagory in the Grammy awards (as if that particular organization has ever gotten anything right), so was Rap.

No, the funniest thing about that was the winner, Jethro Tull ( :shock: ) who beat out Metallica for the award.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

That is really hilarious Slej. :lol::lol:

And flute can be used as a device of self protection.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I think John Kay may have coined the phrase, but Black Sabbath was the true beginning of Metal. :wink:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

Ian Anderson said "Those boys in that band Metallica were playing like they were going to vote for that award that night." (or something like that)

A few years later King Crimson didn't get the instrumental rock award for VROOOM because they gave the award to The Allman Bros for "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed". A good number, but it was on their 2nd album 22 years before the award was given.

Oh, well. What do you expect from the people who considered the best record of 1967 to be "Up, up and away in my beautiful ballon?"

"Dark Side of the Moon?" No, Stevie Wonder "Innervisions."

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

At 49, heavy metal music brings back happy childhood memories. I listen to Heavy Metal when I feel like bobbin' my head up and downwith a big smile on my face.

Nothing shocks me. Really.

Way OT, I know..but..I was shocked once. Once. It was 1973?? I was 10 yrs old. My older cousin took me to my first concert. Edgar Winter was playing in a small theater in my town. KISS was warming up for them. Everyone in the place is saying "who the heck is KISS?" Onto the stage walk these guys...they were wearing makeup! (hey, it was 1973...) and then, in the middle of the show, this guy starts puking up blood all over the stage. Holy Crap!

The only band to ever have topped that feeling was when I saw Pink Floyd perfrom "The Wall". I remember thinking to myself, I HAVE to get to this concert. I didn't know why at the time, I just knew I had to be there. So glad I was able to go.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

My Mama always told me, "Heavy Metal is like a box of Chocolates, You never know what your gonna Get!"

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i gotta go with sabbath also, i loved what james hetfield said about sabbath " man, they were evil, and i loved evil" 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2