Clear all

Wide Seagull type neck vs standard Width

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@roundi)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have a nice seagull 25th Annnv guitar and fairly small hands/short fingers. How significant is this? Lately I have been thinking I should unload the guitar and get something with a narrower neck. This guitar is the anniversary issue so was quite affordable for an all solid wood guitar. This means I will take a hit finiancially for doing this.

Anybody else have experience with fat necked guitars and non bricklayer hands?

(@davidhodge)

I also have small hands and fingers (index finger is just under three inches from webbing to tip) but I prefer the wider neck of the Seagull to "normal" acoustics, mainly because I do a lot of fingerstyle and it feels more comfortable (to me) having all that room. I can play regular acoustics fine, but I don't find them any easier to play because of the width.

The question really is are you having trouble reaching the notes you want to reach for chords or scales and, if so, is it the wider neck that's causing it? A lot of players, especially beginners, tend to tip the faces of their guitars slightly upward in order to see their fingers on the fretboard and that can be part of the problem with reaching notes. If that's something you do, you'll have the same problem with other guitars regardless of neck width.

If it's simply something you're curious about, see if you can borrow a regular-neck guitar from someone (even rent one for a while from the store) and try it out and compare it with your guitar for a week or two and see which you prefer.

Hope this helps and good luck with it!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

A lot of players, especially beginners, tend to tip the faces of their guitars slightly upward in order to see their fingers on the fretboard and that can be part of the problem with reaching notes.

Guilty as charged! :lol:

When I don't look at the fretboard or my fingers to make "difficult" chords like Bm or the Fs, I make them fine. It's like being on auto-pilot, or like I said in a post I made Use the Force, Luke! It also helps to push the left wrist forward a bit, and keep a gap between the bottom of the neck and the palm of the hand.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@roundi)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Renting is a good Idea. My local store has a half price rental day every now and again I will watch and try one out. I may be angling my guitar too I don't know.

ReplyQuote