Wonder If I'll Conv...

Notifications
Clear all

Wonder If I'll Convert To SX?

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

It's been a long time since Rondo has had any BLOWOUT deals on Agile guitars. Kurt mentioned that expenses have increased. However I have heard good reviews on this SX SJM-62 VWH for $139.95 which I believe is a Jagmaster clone? :?: It has a solid alder body and P90's.

I am starting to feel a trip to the Gas Station is needed SOON! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Looks kinda nice. As for the wood, practically every electric guitar is made of 'solid wood', the whole solid thing is way more impressive with accoustic guitars. Kinda seems to be an average starter guitar though, you might really want to check it out and see how the tuners deal with the bridge and whether it would actually add anything to your collection.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Looks kinda nice. As for the wood, practically every electric guitar is made of 'solid wood', the whole solid thing is way more impressive with accoustic guitars.

Solid as opposed to a 2 or 3 piece body. From what I remember posted on GN a while back, the less pieces a guitar body is made from the better the strings resonate.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Solid doesn't mean it's cut out of one piece, even the cheapest Squier bullets are 'solid'. A non-solid electric guitar would be the (semi-)hollow-bodies.

Check for example this list of 'solid guitars' for sale at a random US online store.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/category/c590

A guitar made from a single piece of good wood will not be sold for such a price as just the wood itself will be more expensive the asking price. When you take out the cost of the electronics, production, wages of the staff etc you can calculate for yourself the wood will not be high-grade and most likely not made from a single piece.

Not trying to kill your mood here but you do get what you pay for. No matter how they advertize it.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

It's a good thing you don't have a thing for vintage Martin guitars!

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Not trying to kill your mood here but you do get what you pay for. No matter how they advertize it.

One hundred percent right.In business (unless its charity), no one is going to give you everything at low price.Its a matter of shrewd advertising.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Arjen has good information here.

According to a few luthiers (electric guitar manufacturers as opposed to acoustic guitar makers) that I've contacted over the years, it's really rare for any electric guitar body to be made from one single piece of wood. Three seems to be the norm, but then again this was a couple of years ago...

And the scuttlebut three years ago was that SX weren't really with it when it came to the electronics. That obviously could have changed since then but you still might want to check more reviews of more recent models.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

that guitar was reviewed in a Guitar Player issue a few months ago. It was critic reviews and user reviews. the guitar itself and pickups got decent to good reviews. however, the hardware got TERRIBLE reviews. One guy said the bridge felt like it was made of tin. the tuners couldnt hold tune. the pots were scratchy.

it's a cool lookin guitar. Prolly good for a project to do major upgrades and turn it into a wicked axe.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I have one of the SX Strat Copies. It holds tune fairly well and was easily intonated. My main purpose for buying it was, as U2Bono269 says, for a project guitar. I have had my eye on the same model as you Mikespe, except for a hardtail. I would then order all new pots, knobs, tuners, and put a Baritone neck with Jackson or Flying V headstock from Warmoth on it.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Or I like this one : http://www.rondomusic.net/gg4std.html
If the neck felt good, great. Maybe change the PUPS to p90's. I just like the way that guitar looks. The Pots and wires might need to be changed.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote