Clear all

Writing a rock song...on acoustic?

17 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@hoogomoogo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have a good idea for a rock song titled "fire on the underground" but am unable to think of a way to write this without finding the key on my guitar and I find it difficult to imagine how I can find the first note without an electric guitar with the right distortion on it (I only have an acoustic, and no amp. Its a really nice guitar tho and it does have a Pickup). what do you think I can do about this?

I sorta Play the Guitar.......Only sorta tho. *shifty eyes*

Now working on: That Dang F-Chord, Barre chords, strumming faster, And the Prelims of Finger picking.

(@blueline)
Noble Member

I'm going to see if I understand your question first. Are you saying that you hear a certain chord progresssion or series of notes that are distorted? You would like play this but feel that you would be unable to find the notes on your acoustic because of the lack of distortion?
Assuming that is the case....
If you played a C chord on your acoustic, it will sound the same on your electric save the distortion. The best way to simulate that on your acoustic would be to use power chords. Assume you wanted to play a G power chord as a strating place to see if it matches the distorted chord you hear for your song. You would play:

G
---X-----------------------
---5-----------------------
---5-----------------------
---3-----------------------

You could then move that same chord structure up the neck to play an A. You can play a C, then move up the neck to D.

A C D
-----X-----X-----X-------------
-----X-----X-----X-------------
-----X-----5-----7-------------
-----7-----5-----7-------------
-----7-----3-----5-------------
-----5-----X-----X-------------

That should give you enough to try to find the chords you are looking for. If not, move those two chord voicings up and down the neck till you find what you need.

Hope that helps.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Pete Townshend reportedly wrote all of his songs on a Gibson SJ-200.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I would think the majority of songwriters work it out on acoustics before moving to electric though not always

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I would think the majority of songwriters work it out on acoustics before moving to electric though not always
Its the first guitar I go for. I read that Rush (Getty Lee and Alex Lifeson) wrote Snakes and Arrows on acoustics. They did it purposefully. Although I can't remember why they stated they wanted to write it on the acoustic before moving to electric. I do remember thinking..."hmmm, that makes sense" when I read it. But that was some time ago. I'm lucky if I can remember my own name half the time.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I think you have to have an idea in your head how you want it to sound and kind of have to imagine what effects to use. Now wonce you take the song you worked out on acoustic and start playing it on an electric guitar you may end up changing alot of things.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Its the first guitar I go for. I read that Rush (Getty Lee and Alex Lifeson) wrote Snakes and Arrows on acoustics. They did it purposefully. Although I can't remember why they stated they wanted to write it on the acoustic before moving to electric. I do remember thinking..."hmmm, that makes sense" when I read it. But that was some time ago. I'm lucky if I can remember my own name half the time.

From what I remember, they said they knew if it worked and sounded good on acoustics, it would sound great on electric because acoustics don't lie.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

And Dave Grohl writes on acoustic too

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

From what I remember, they said they knew if it worked and sounded good on acoustics, it would sound great on electric because acoustics don't lie.

BINGO!
That's it mate! You see, between Jeff and I, we know everything there is to know. If you don't beleive us, just ask us.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Basically...I write 90% of my stuff on an acoustic, as well. I listen to the overtones and feed off of 'em to see where it takes me. Still...the best software is b'tween yer ears, anyhoo!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

...the best software is b'tween yer ears!

Cat

a.k.a. wetware

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member

And Dave Grohl writes on acoustic too

A :-)
I heard he did, i think most people do, then they decide whether to make it electric or not.

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I love this thread.

There is nothing that can match the sweet sound of an acoustic. Simple, unadulterated, pure. 8)

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Yeah...the sound's heaps different. I pay attention to the decays and most often come up with following chord changes as I write. Come to think of it...when I "gotta make the rent" I'll sit and tune up...and slowly pick across one chord and just sorta wait. In my mind is hovering the genré I'm aiming for so this kind of points me in the "write direction"!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@hoogomoogo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

thanks guys. I guess what my problem is that with my limited experience i still dont know the chords that are floating around in my head, driving me mad. and ur right, Acoustic sound is the best.

I sorta Play the Guitar.......Only sorta tho. *shifty eyes*

Now working on: That Dang F-Chord, Barre chords, strumming faster, And the Prelims of Finger picking.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2