Yet another what kind of guitar to buy for learning

16 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Data
(@data)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yes I know you are probably tired of new players asking this. I am wanting to learn to play and will be reading books and useing the internet for lessons to start with. I want to play metal rock with a electric guitar. I cant afford a ESP like kirk of Metallica plays but I can burn 500 on a guitar and amp. I need one with good action and feels good to play. I have been doing some reading and have strummed a few guitars and I know what action meens. I want one with the strings close to the frets so its easier on the fingers to learn. If it feels good to play then I will practice more. I will be shopping craigslist and such and there is lots of guitars to choose from. Please help me in the right direction so I dont get taken.

Thanks very much for your time

Jay
Vancouver Washington

(@davidhodge)

If you can spend $500 on a guitar and amp, then you've got more choices than you'll probably know what to do with. What you need to do is to go to a guitar store and try some out - feel what's comfortable for you. Knowing what a particular guitar feels like in your hands is more valuable to you so that if you do decide to use Craig's list you can have some idea of the makes and models you like.

Remember that things like action can be adjusted (and, truthfully, buying from a store usually means that they'll set up the guitar for you the way you'd like and also that you can take it back and get it readjusted if you realize you made a mistake), so don't worry a lot about that for starters.

Also remember that two seemingly identical guitars, same make and model, can have very different feels. If you're serious, you owe it to yourself to get personally involved in your search. All the recommendations any of us can give will never take your needs totally into account any more than someone can reccomend you what flavor ice cream will be your favorite one.

Vancouver, Washington and Portland right across the way have certainly got more than enough shops to get you started. Look around, narrow down the field to some particular models and then ask again.

Also, don't get hung up too much on what guitar is played by whom. Most guitarists play (and own) a lot more than the one guitar we tend to associate with their music.

Hope this helps. Welcome to Guitar Noise, by the way. Looking forward to seeing you around.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I offer this question up to anyone looking to get started. Do you have a local friend who is experienced would be willing to help? That makes it easier. You may not want to hear a particular answer, but you can save yourself some dough and heartache bu listening. Offer lunch.

Don't take the amp issue lightly. If you are trying to get into metal and end up on an amp that can't really do metal, you might have a difficult time of it. A popular choice in the still wide open world of gear is some sort of modeling amp. Losts of people sing the raves of the Roland Cube 30X ( I can vouch for it's capabilities for metal), the Vox valetronics series (did I get that one right, guys?) and even now the Fender Super Champ Deluxe, although that might be a bit out of the rnge giben it's $300 price tag. Remember, if you do this right, it will go from being your starter amp to your practice amp without having to lay out some more dough. I wish I had done mine right. :roll:

Good luck with your new journey.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Data
(@data)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys for the advice. I really dont know wanyone who plays but I can go to one of the music stores and try some out. I will take some time and look at all my options. Amps will be tried and thanks for the advice with those.

Jay
Vancouver WA

ReplyQuote
 Data
(@data)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I like this review of the rowland on utube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srvla73vpok

Tells me alot of the capabilities. This may be the one I get. If they have a bigger one with more power that would be cool. I like my music loud....but with me learning it may not be called music. What else has some of these features of the rowland cube 30? This shopping is FUN :)

Jay

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

If your budget is really $500 then I'd recommend not getting the Cube 30. It's a great amp - I've got one and I like it - but it's too much of your budget and won't leave enough for a decent guitar. As for more volume, you won't need more than the 30 for home practice. In fact, you would get by fine with the Cube 15 and still be able to get too loud for use at home. The Cube 15 some of the features of the Cube 30 (probably all you'll need to start) and it's lower powered (still too much power to use it all at home), it's a bit smaller, and it's cheaper.

The Cube 30 will run about $250 but the Cube 15 will cost about $100. That will leave you $400 which should get you a decent guitar which will last you for a while. If you get the Cube 30 you'll be left with $250 for the guitar and the other stuff below which means that you'll be cutting too many corners on the guitar quality. I would keep the amp price down and put more of that money to guitar and then after a year or two if you want you could upgrade the amp (or buy pedals) to get other sounds.

Besides the guitar you're still going to need to pick up a few other accessories - strap, tuner, metronome, at least one set of strings, picks, a good method book with CD, and a case or gig bag for the guitar. Some of this you might be able to get from the store thrown into the deal if you buy the guitar and amp from them. Haggle a bit since buying a guitar is like buying a car - nobody pays sticker price. There are other things you might want like a guitar stand and a music stand but you can wait a little bit for those.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

If your budget is really $500 then I'd recommend not getting the Cube 30.........

For the first 6-12 months, it don't matter. You're gonna be learning scales, learning all the major and minor open chords and such. IMHO, all should be done on clean channel anyhow so that you get the highest sense of clarity so that you can tell if you're doing it properly or not. Then you'll get on the fabulous Easy Songs For Beginners section of this web site to learn how to play some basic stuff and gain some understanding of how it all works. Horse With No Name probably sounds wretched on a metal channel.

I looked on musicians's Friend's web site and the 15X does have a couple of metal settings. That should be enough to let you know, when the time comes, if you're learning your metallica licks properly. It accomplishes the goal that I was getting at earlier. Something that you can continue to learn what you want to learn. I actually didn't know the 15w version came with the extra models on it. (Has it always been like that?)

Regardless, if you do not get an amp that can play some metal tones, it will be a bad decision. That's my ultimate point.

Wait a tick. When did the 30's get up to $250 bucks? I swear mine was like $189 or something. That's only been a couple of years ago too.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Data
(@data)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Does this look like an ok guitar? I am thinking that mabey a used amp is ok but perhaps I really need to play some guitars at a store to find the feel I want. Its supposed to be a esp guitar which I think are good. And the amp is right.

Jay

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Does this look like an ok guitar? I am thinking that mabey a used amp is ok but perhaps I really need to play some guitars at a store to find the feel I want. Its supposed to be a esp guitar which I think are good. And the amp is right.

Jay

Missing a link? :lol:

Roy

ReplyQuote
 Data
(@data)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yep....sorry I forgot to post the link. Well doesnt matter now as I am heading down to apple music and meet with one of their pros to help me buy a guitar and probably an amp today. I can get the rowland cube 20 for 189 from him or the cube 30 for 259.
He says the 20 has the same features as the 30. He also said if I buy a guitar and amp from him then he will work with me on the prices. They have 1000 guitars in stock so they will no doubt find a good one for me.

Heres a link to their store.

Jay

http://www.applemusicrow.com/guitar_store.htm

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Good luck! Hope all goes well.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

How did the trip to the store go?

Roy

ReplyQuote
 Data
(@data)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

After talking to a few people they recomended that I go someplace else to buy. So I havent purchased yet. I keep looking at all those guitars on craigslist and thinking about how I could be helping someone make rent while getting a much better guitar then I could afford retail. I have been looking at this one. I talked to him and he has been playing for 10 years. He has this guitar for 7 months. It was new when he got it. It was to be his backup guitar and he says its in mint perfect condition and it comes with a cast and stand. He said I can come play it or he will show me that it plays. He said its really setup for metal and if that is what I want to end up playing then it will do it.

What do you think
The Schecter C-1 FR

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/msg/1050629296.html

I can go but it today till 3 when he goes to work. It retails for $500

Jay

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Jay, it looks decent enough. It's certainly the kind of guitar that one would use to play metal. If it's in good shape and all, I think it'd be a very good buy. What's the Latin phrase for buyer, beware? Caveat Emptor? Regardless, there's always a risk of getting hosed in a private sale. That aside, it looks good except.......

OK, people, chime in if you're still reading. This has a Floyd Rose bridge. Too much for a newbie? My opinon is that there's so much to learn without having to mess with one of these. I can do 'em. Have two of them. Pain in the butt until you get a feel for it and almost lose an eye with strings snapping. After you get a feel for it, they are still a pain. Another GN'er suggested blocking it. Still,.....I don't know. Maybe create a seperate post if no one else responds.

Having said that, if I was looking for a good deal on a high output metal type guitar and saw that ad, I would respond. Active pickups even. Wow. Too much guitar for the first few months, but you will not out-grow it anytime soon.

OK, so if he gives you a lesson in tuning the thing due to the bridge, and if there is someone you know who can help form time to time if you get stuck. Boy, I'm on the fence. I hope Hyperboria is watching. He'd have an opinion.

Oh, and I'm not sure that I've ever heard a bad word spoken about Schecters.

Roy

ReplyQuote
 Data
(@data)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

OK.....Ive done it. I got the schrecter c1-fr Diamond series guitar ( white ) and then rolled down to the music center and got a line 6 75 watt I think its a spider amp. It has 400 presets. I think they called it a modeling amp. Has a built in tuner. Bought a strap and monster cable cord for 20 bucks. It felt good getting a brand new amp and the guitar is flawless and was in tune. The guy at the shop looked it over and said its a killer guitar and a good deal. So....I guess its a horse with no name for me now.....beginer song.

I will try to post some pictures later.

Jay

Thanks for the help.....now where do I start to learn........

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2