So, when you've finished noodling......

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

What's the first song you play?

I can generally guarantee it'll be one of about four songs....about 7 times out of 10, it'll be "More Than A Feeling." The other three times will be evenly split between the song I'm working on now (currently "Tin Soldier" by the Small Faces) and Under The Bridge or Behind Blue Eyes.

Sad to say, from the perspective of my songwriter's soul, I can't think of the last time I picked up a guitar and played one of my own songs - unless it came into the "song I'm working on now" category and I was desperate to get an MP3 out for the current week's SSG song.

Funny thing - Roy's noodling post was the inspiration for this thread. He started off by saying he always started noodling with a D chord......and guess what chord "More Than A Feeling" starts with? Go on, have a wild guess!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I picked up the guitar a couple of times today to noodle and kept forgetting to start on something different. I did yesterday with the E chord and went right into Melissa. It pretty much brought me back to a year ago or so, as that was the first song I would play almost all the time.

So, for my normal D-chord start: Lately it's been Thank You by Led Zep. At that point, once done, I reach for whatever music folder is in reach and select a song to play. If I didn't keep it mixed up, my wife would kill me. :lol: :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Some songs I play almost everyday and have for many years are:

Alright Now- Free
Funk 49- The James Gang

And a solo I play almost everyday for many years (the whole song actually) is Life Begins at the Hop by XTC. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yiknQ9xyJk&feature=related

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

And a solo I play almost everyday for many years (the whole song actually) is Life Begins at the Hop by XTC. Check it out.

I never heard that before. What's that solo method called, mute-picking?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Often anything I recently heard on the radio while driving my truck. Sometimes I actually know how to play them correctly too. :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I never heard that before. What's that solo method called, mute-picking?

Yes, that's all it is. Back in the very early 80's my brother and I had a band, and this was one of the songs we covered, I have been playing it ever since. We also covered Helicopter, and Making Plans for Nigel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dvtHZSUaGA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8B3YVa4zQQ&feature=related

This was back in the New Wave days, we were doing the Cars, Talking Heads and others. We had quite a few originals as well.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I usually go into "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" (Susan Tedeschi version), or "Ain't No Sunshine" (Eva Cassidy version), both fingerpicked, both acoustic. Occasionally I'll jump into some Neil Young, "Old Man" or "After The Goldrush". Even less occasionally I'll start in on something that's been running through my head that I need to get out. Lately that's been "Blue Skies" (Allman Bros.)

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Wes, I don't think XTC got up into our neck of the woods on the radio. The only reason I heard The Cars back then was because our gym teacher played it in the locker room. Sheltered, I was.

Elecktrablue, I like to play that "After The Gold Rush" sometimes too, but I prefer to sing when I play. I just cannot hit those notes. No grown man should be able to. Not without an ice-pack. Everytime I start to play it, my wife says "don't hurt yourself." :lol: :lol:

Roy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Ok since I rarely noodle for noodling sake I play whatever song I was just working on. So I'll start with whatever difficult passge I am having with a song, work on that awhile and then run through the whole song.

But I might just practice that one part for hours at a time.

When you have limited natural ability you have to conquer it with brute force.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Elecktrablue, I like to play that "After The Gold Rush" sometimes too, but I prefer to sing when I play. I just cannot hit those notes. No grown man should be able to. Not without an ice-pack. Everytime I start to play it, my wife says "don't hurt yourself." :lol: :lol:

Sounds like you just need to transpose it downward until it's in your vocal range. Then you won't hurt yourself! :lol:

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Old mold...
Donovan...Ballad of Crystal Man....which is how I got back into alt picking as well as...

The Boxer..
Dreamboat Annie

Funk #49,
parts of Mule.......
Hesitation Blues,
Nobody Knows You When You're Down & Out.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like you just need to transpose it downward until it's in your vocal range. Then you won't hurt yourself!

I have been able to get in tone the chorus of Old Man. Still not as high as 'gold Rush, but maybe I can build on it. I can never sing "I [G]felt like getting [C]high." because of getting a rupture at "There was a [Bm]band playin'", and have to stop. Love that song on Live Rust, btw.

Now ever further off topic, I re-arranged "Un-Known Legend" from a poor chord chart into a good one, it you're interested.

Roy

ReplyQuote