Clear all

Your opinion on....

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have been delving into chord theory of late, and my teacher has recommended "Chord Chemistry" by Ted Greene as a good source of, well, chord chemistry....

If anyone has used it, would you mind sharing your opinion of this book?

Thanks.....

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i don't have it, but it's like the bible of jazz chord theory.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Depending on your level, this book is either an increadible resource or a huge waste of time.

For someone with a solid grounding in chord theory and voicing who is looking for an encyclopedic guide on how to build and voice usable chords on a guitar, it's a great book.

But if you're not ready for 500 different ways to play an 'A' chord, with just about no explainatory text, then it's just not worth it.

I'd never recommend it to my students who were just "delving" into the the topic, but I would certainly recommend it to an advanced student who really wanted to fully grasp the harmonic potential of the guitar.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Depending on your level, this book is either an increadible resource or a huge waste of time.

For someone with a solid grounding in chord theory and voicing who is looking for an encyclopedic guide on how to build and voice usable chords on a guitar, it's a great book.

But if you're not ready for 500 different ways to play an 'A' chord, with just about no explainatory text, then it's just not worth it.

I'd never recommend it to my students who were just "delving" into the the topic, but I would certainly recommend it to an advanced student who really wanted to fully grasp the harmonic potential of the guitar.

Well, at this point, I certainly don't consider myself an advanced student...however, I am most interested in grasping the harmonic potential as you mentioned....and...by delving, I was meaning exploring, which may have been a better word for my current endeavor. Thanks for your opinion.

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote