Notifications
Clear all

A glorious day it is, kind sir...

26 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I'm kind of surprised that 3 people from GN chose "You're an inspiration for birth-control." Anybody else? Even if they hated it - I never thought anyone on here would select it...
Naah, it's not literal so it's valid as just a low score. That or it was insecure lurkers :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Sleutelbos, good to know. :lol: I'm kind of surprised that 3 people from GN chose "You're an inspiration for birth-control." Anybody else? Even if they hated it - I never thought anyone on here would select it...

I wasnt one that did so this time, however I have done so in similar situations in the past just because I thought whatever had been put in the bottom category was humorous. AND I cant fathom that anyone that really listened to this particular project could ever hate it.

Just funny guys... I imagine.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Glad you liked it Miso, thanks for listening. :) I can live with that. ;)

oh, I'm not too worried about the poll. If I only allow people to vote 'cool' then I would be just looking for an egoboost, and if someone honestly didn't like it at all then that's fine to say. I wouldn't mind hearing some more details from those people but that's up to them if they want to give some criticism. I'm open for it in any case.

Or maybe it were people who know me and they filled it in without listening to the music.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

lmao, probably the latter.

Smile does go a lot better when seen with the video, interestingly enough. I've never thought music videos could be important.

When I have time for some sort of project like that, where I'd send you a melody of sorts, etc, etc, I'll definitly send you a PM Arjen. Very busy with college right now though.

What about doing a collab. of sorts with one of the great vocalists we have on guitarnoise here, as a means of getting some more guitar songs. I agree, most guitar songs do need vocals, although you do have those gems like Jessica from the Allman Brothers Band, etc.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi Sleutelbos,

Excellent stuff. 8) I'm both impressed and envious.

I can see that I'm going to have to re-double my efforts if I'm going to get to my goal of also being able to put together a selection of original stuff.

I haven't got all the way through yet (night and the need to sleep interfered) but I enjoyed all the ones I've listened to so far. Some of the piano work reminded me a little of some Nocturnes I have by the Irish composer John Field, which I'm very fond of (as well as the 'usual suspects' from the classical world :wink: ).

I had a quick dip into some of the more 'experimental' sounding stuff and that sounded interesting too, but I haven't given it full attention yet.

Your willingness to mix a bunch of different styles - some more 'traditional' and lyrical, and some more 'out there' - reminded me a little of another set of music I acquired last week. I just bought Tom Wait's 3 cd set Orphans and that has a different 'flavour' on each Cd - which he calles "Brawlers" (some of his usual raspy stories) "Bawlers" (Ballads) and "Ba*tards" (Odds and ends and experimental stuff). I'm a big fan of Wait's songwriting and performance and anything he feels like trying, then I'm happy to go along for the ride. So far, with your collection I'm feeling that even the stuff that I might not buy a full album of is also well worth going along for the ride. :)

Instant favourites were Voor J.S (I'm guessing that means "For Johann Sebastian"??) and March in the Sand.

Your version of Flight of the Bumblebee was fun too. Reminded me of the story of the nervous new announcer telling the audience "The next item on the program is Rimsky-Korsakov's famous 'Bum of the Flightlebee'"... :P doubtless an invented story...

Great stuff anyway. Thanks for sharing it all with us. I'll try and have a listen all the way through later this weekned.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I'm still listening to it. I burned a copy and am listening to it on the way to and back from work. Its rather enjoyable to listen to while driving in the country side :D --ken

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Just a couple of listens in:
Amazing cohesion to the 1st 7 tracks, Arjen. I heard them almost like one extended piece. And amazingly sensitive playing. Not just chops but real expressiveness.
Nihil Sine Origine Nisi Deus Solus is one I don't think I've heard before. Really interesting; sort of a kissin' cousin to When the Train Comes In. 8)
I Specifically Reminded acts as the seque for me, it's in a great spot in the track order.
Hey Hey went into heavy rotation in my playlist when you first posted it in Hear Here. Can't get enough of the tension those off kilter drums create.
I hit a speed bump at Tracks 10 and 11. They're the 2 tracks I like the least and they both have really grating tonalities IMHO. I'd split 'em up in the track sequence.
But things get back on track in spades for the home stretch. Unlike someone above I like the drum mix for Thanks. It's got that outsized, post war swing thing going.
Mag Ik Even could be a single if you 'popped it up a bit', you know.:wink: Catchy, energetic, smokin' opening guitar riff...I like as is, but to be a single you'd have to change the second half where you sort of deconstruct it.
Love the last 4 as well, particularly When the Train Comes In. That one really fascinates me. Might be my fave in this project.
Anyone who gives you 5 stars is crazier than the people who gave you 1. I kept pressing the space between 4 and 5 wanting to give you a 4 1/2, so I don't think my vote got tallied. :P
Great stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Don

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Nice Arjen. I really liked a number of tracks and gave it a 4. More comments when I know which track is which -- I loaded into an iPod shuffle for ultra convenient in-flight listening. Unfortunately, no display = no titles.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Taso: well, I guess a lot of my songs are more 'sounds' then 'songs' and smile is one of them. The clip itself isn't anything meaningfull either but they kinda intensify each other. I hope. As for collabs, when I really work on a song it kinda gets personal and it's hard to hand the vocal part over to someone. For me atleast. Besides, my lyrics are usually so stupid and absurd it would be hard for others to know where I'm trying to go.

Chris: Thanks. :) I think I'm a preacher of sorts and it shows in my music, I'm on my holy mission to introduce people to music they haven't heared yet. Kinda hard to put to words, but I am more interested in creating interesting sounds then lasting, more likeable, tunes. I know preciously little of Tom Waits thogh, I know I should be ashamed of myself but I just don't happen to run into it.

Voor J.S. is a somewhat personal song, and was written for a good friend who went through a uncool period. I saw the link to Bach only after I was done, it maybe me chuckle though. :D I hope you find the second half enjoyable as well, fingers crossed. ;)

ken: Thanks, glad you like it. :D

BoxBoy: Thanks. I;m not much of a technical player at all is I try to compensate that by paying as much attention to how I play the notes as I can. I know what you mean with the grating sounds of #10/11, they are pretty nasty indeed. I thought about splitsing them but they really break the flow wherever I placed them so by putting them together they don't impact the general mood as much, or atleast that's the general idea. ;)

Greg: Thanks, glad you liked it, or atleast part of it. :D Looking forward to more specific comments.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I was gonna DL this and give it a listen but the link is dead, you need to reupload it. :(

There is a way of uploading it to rapidshare or similar so that it stays up there permanently, but I can't remember how off the top of my head. I think Megaupload.com might have a longer link-validity time period, but that takes longer to download than rapidshare.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the pointer. I'll re-upload it when I get back home next week ASAP, apparantly this goes for most of my music. If you have a SC account you can download the tracks individually from http://www.soundclick.comn/sleutelbos , this album is probably at the bottom of the second page.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2