Notifications
Clear all

Anybody got a review of: Rhoadsscholar.com's

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

Haven't seen the product (yet) but I can tell you that lefties learn to read chord charts and tablature (and notation) the same as everyone else. There are books that give you "special" charts where the chords are mirror images of the typical ones but most people tend to steer clear of them if for no other reason that you're going to have to learn the standard way if you're going to be able to play with others.

If someone simply wants to learn and memorize the chords, it could certainly work, but if you're someone who actively reads chord charts, it's not a good idea to deviate from standard ones.

Just my thoughts...

Peace

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I read the article in Guitar World. I must say that my guess is that this former student of Randy Rhoads is trying to capitalize on his teacher's name. The article in Guitar World featured a few lessons that Randy gave this student, and the lessons were solid, fine, but nothing earth shattering! It does reveal a tiny bit about how Randy thought about scales and approached them. I doubt that any of the lessons contained in the e-book this guy is selling will "unlock" the genius of Randy Rhoads for a guitar player. That genius came from countless hours of practice! If these lessons did unleash Randy's genius, this guy would have capitalized on it YEARS ago, instead of 25 years after Randy died (Jeez, is it really that long ago?).

My opinion - save your money.

ReplyQuote
(@rockyrhoads)

I purchased these lessons and have spent a bit of time talking to the author of the ebook. He is NOT trying to capitalize on the name of Randy Rhoads, he is making something available to Randy's fans that they have wanted for years. He started the project because his 17-year-old sons were showing an interest in playing the guitar. He put together the ebook and GUitar World showed an interest in publishing excerpts (if anyone is capitalizing, it's Guitar World, trying to sell magazines by including RR material).

The content are NOT earth-shattering secrets, but it does explain some of Randy Rhoads' thought process about playing the guitar, which can be very valuable to guitar players who want to understand his playing. As for the "upside-down, backwards" charts, Randy Rhoads drew the charts himself. In 1979 there weren't tab programs or books. Tab was not used commonly until the mid-eighties, so Randy Rhoads used his own system based on what made sense to him. If you think about it, the diagram is drawn the way the neck would look if your were sitting across from Randy during a lesson and looking at his guitar.

Anyone who wants to add to a RR collection should consider these lessons valuable. The average, non-RR fan should utilize the thousands of other methods available since Randy RHoads is not around to explain his system.

ReplyQuote