Saw The Who tonight!

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I saw them at Jones Beach, here on long island. Great venue, water right behind the stage, never been there before tonight. First thing Pete says when he gets on stage, "I thought it was going to be by the f*cking beach!" Very funny guy that Pete Townshend is.

Great concert, although I think Pete could play one chord with that guitar/amp and I'd think it was awesome. What a sound. Great vocals by Roger and Pete, great bass playing as always, despite Entwisle not being alive. The drummer was incredible also. And by drummer, I mean Kieth Moon, cause the fellow basically played all the songs just as Keith did, thankfully.

The ending was kind of dissapointing, ended with a slow song. When I saw them 2 years ago they ended with a 10 minute jammed out Magic Bus, which was the best part of the concert, I was expecting that this time too, but alas.

The opening act was TERRIBLE. Well, maybe not terrible, but it was some sort of HEAVY rock, screaming, etc. I don't know if they are on tour with the Who, or if that was Jones Beach's fault, but it was obvious the crowd wouldn't appreciate their music. And the boo's reflected that. When I find out what band it was I'll let you all know.

Anyways, great concert. Pete and Roger rocked Long Island.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

(@davidp)

Sounds like a fun time, Taso.
When I find out what band it was I'll let you all know.
According to this the opening band was Peeping Tom. Never heard of 'em.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yes that was them! At one point Townshend joked, 'For the rest of the show, we are going to do all new material, and some covers....a few beatles tunes...' and some guy yelled out 'I hope you don't do any Peeping Tom!!'

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

It would be interesting to find out who booked the opening act. A lot of headliners don't mind if the opening act bombs - it makes the crowd that more excited for the headliner. Hard to imagine veterans like the Who would stoop to that trick though.

Hmmm, I wonder if they plan on playing Denver....

ReplyQuote