Tommy Emmanuel Concert

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Went to see Tommy Emmanuel last Thursday. Forgot to post about it. Any of you that havent seen Tommy really need to if you get a chance. He plays acoustic but he is amazing. I dont really know what style you would call it... but he is just an incredible guitarist. My second time seeing him. I'll go back next year.

His opening act wasnt half bad either. A guy named Troy Cassar-daley from Australia. Sing country but has a beautiful sound.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

I caught Tommy this year as well....first time I have seen him, and, frankly, I was awe struck. This guy is a amazing guitarist....as far as his style?....fingerpicker, flatpicker, hybrid picker, you name it, this guy can do it....I dont think he fits into any one category...

I also went to his workshop, but was quite timid, having only played "at" guitar for all of 7 months at the time. He was a very patient guy, not to mention super nice. Just being around him inspired me. Interestingly, he told his workshop guests that (this pertains to another thread about reading) he doesn't read standard notation, never bothered to learn it.

If you get the chance....go see him!

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

he doesn't read standard notation, never bothered to learn it.

If you get the chance....go see him!

He also plays all his stuff in standard tunings. :shock: I want to attend his workshop next year. He was here in OKC for two nights.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@jaycee)

I saw him at the begining of the year again he was simply amazing ...who needs an electric guitar when you can play an Acoustic like him......

Another gig to go to is Rodrigo and Gabriella...........who needs an Acoustic guitar when you can play classical guitars like they can.........

Just in case you havent heard of them http://www.rodgab.com ...

Male and female guitar duo brought up on trash metal and they play classical guitars with spanish/trash/rock/jazz rhythems they are awesome. For an encore they did Stairway......... and Wish you were here to which the crowd provided the vocals :D

"Listen to it ,Feel it, Play it"

ReplyQuote
(@reeve)
Estimable Member

I just saw Tommy on the 23rd for the second time. It was amazing, about 400-500 people were the at this small church in Denver. Afterwards he signed stuff and we talked for a bit about the Jeff Beck concert earlier in the week. He never ceases to amaze.

Well, I've had some requests, but I'm going to play anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@brothaweed)
Trusted Member

I saw a DVD of his a couple of months ago, holy $&(!! I will be seeing him live in February for the first time. I can't wait!

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

I saw a DVD of his a couple of months ago, holy $&(!! I will be seeing him live in February for the first time. I can't wait!

Tommy tours quite regularly. He will be back in my neck of the woods come early summer. I will be getting tickets the instant they go on sale. Not sure if I will attend his workshop though, as the last one was quite over my head....

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote