Blues books

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I want to buy "Blues You Can Use" by Ganapes in Amazon and to share the international shipment costs I'd like to buy some other books as well.

I was reviewing old threads and some of you recommend also "Beginning Fingerstyle Blues Guitar" by Berle and Galbo.

Some Amazon reviewers recommend also these books (in this order):

- Blues by the Bar by Hunt
- Blues Turnarounds by Zinn and Rubin
- 101 Must-Know Blues Licks by Marshall

Also I'm considering as alternative the "More Blues You Can Use" and "Blues Licks You Can Use".

Could you give me an advice? Do you know or use these books? I don't know if it will be enough with BYCU and if the info included in the licks books is already present in the others.

Perhaps it could be better if the BYCU book were complemented with theory books as the Tom Serb's one or even The Guitar Handbook by Denyer.

Thanks in advance! :)

(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I can help you narrow things a bit. Blues You Can Use and More Blues You Can Use are sequential.
The 'more' in More Blues You Can Use doesn't mean 'different' it means 'harder'. If you don't have the rudiments of Blues You Can Use down, More Blues You Can Use would be pretty much impossible.
Blues You Can Use is more than I'll be able to handle for some time to come.
Highly recommended. Huge fun to learn; the lessons are complete little pieces. They really make the process entertaining.

Don

ReplyQuote
(@uno-pulgar)
Trusted Member

I have both BYCU and the Beginning Fingerstyle book you mention. I have just started working with them and so far both seem very well done. Working with both a little each time I practice, helps break up the monotony and builds some structure to otherwise aimless noodling sessions. Plus It gives me a reason to use both my acoustic and electric.

Avatar- Correy Harris 8/12/2006 Heritage Music Blues fest, Wheeling WVa

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

Nuno,

Many members here have Blues You Can Use
http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=28444&highlight=blues
And are also members of Blues You Can Use forum where John Gnapes will answer any questions you have
http://www.bluesyoucanuse.com/forum.html

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everybody! :D

Yes, I know that thread and the comments on BYCU. For this reason I want to buy the book, it seems it is the best book for learning guitar blues.

I'm considering the others as complementary material to BYCU. More-BYCU is a second course on blues and Beginning Fingerstyle could be a different approach also recommended by some GN users.

I don't know if the books on licks are more interesting than the others. I mean, as a complement to BYCU, is it better books on licks or tournaments or books with a harder or different approach?

ReplyQuote