Doug Marks Metal Method

14 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
20.2 K Views
(@spacedog03)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Just wondering if anyone has bought or knows anything about Doug Marks Metal Method series. I think the basic course is about $70 for four DVD's set up as 24 lessons. There is a website with additional resources and a discussion/Q&A forum, newletter, etc. It looks like a reliable product, just wondering if anyone knows anything about it.

(Too bad this corner of the forum gets such low traffic. I hope someone besides our esteemed administrator sees this before groundhog day.) :)

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I saw it.

ReplyQuote
(@spacedog03)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Figured you would. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

I have the whole course but haven't had much time yet to really delve into it. I'll post something ina few weeks.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@spacedog03)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

After I posted that I poked around a little and found out it's been around quite awhile. I saw some older versions of the videos on VHS on ebay, but the ability to replay segments on DVD is so superior to VHS that I'd rather pay the extra $ to get on DVD. That goes for all instructional type videos. Let me know what you think after you've looked it over.

ReplyQuote
(@teedef)

I purchased this about a year ago and I'm just really starting to get into it. I've been playing for 3.5 years but wanted something that would help me get the basics right and provide a little structure to my practice sessions. The lessons are concise and clear. I'm about two-thirds of the way through the first DVD. There are 3 DVD's and they each contain 8 weekly lessons. Depending upon your experience level you may be able to progress even faster. I've been sticking with the recommended schedule simply because it allows me to use Metal Method to focus on the baiscs while supplementing my practice time with other material (TAB songs, Blues You Can Use, etc.) I wouldn't call myself a metalhead but the MM course does have some good technique training. Besides, certain skills are prevalent regardless of the genre.

ReplyQuote
(@spacedog03)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks teedef, I would not exactly consider myself a metalhead either but agree many of the skills will cross over regardless of genre, and not having a teacher I like the idea of having structured lesson material to focus on.

ReplyQuote
(@hairballxavier)
Estimable Member

Good to see that Doug Mark's Metal Method is still around. If you want to become a Heavy Metal or Hard Rock guitar player and waste no time doing it, this is the ticket.

I got his Metal Method lessons about 20 years ago. Back then the lessons were just a cassette tape with crude little booklets that looked homemade with "artwork" done by his girlfriend. There was 6 of them and they were like $10 per lesson. Metal Primer, Metal Gear, Metal Tricks, Metal Progressions, Metal Licks, and Metal Theory. That was the best 50 bucks I ever spent.

I was a complete beginner and 6 months later I was ina band playing any Metal song i wanted to and getting paid to teach guitar to guys that had playing for years. People were just amazed at how quickly I progressed.

Marks will put you on the fast track to being real metal axeman.

ReplyQuote
(@spacedog03)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey hairballxavier, Thanks for the input. It's been a good six months since anyone responded to this thread. I still have not purchased this yet, but it's still on my list. I see his name pop up here and there and have never heard anything negative about it. Maybe your comment will push me to ordering it. :D

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

I've recently begun to hit this pretty hard. I can already say it was worth the money I spent on it.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I am not a metal head either, but I bought the whole course, and it was well worth the money. It really will jump start your playing and get you to an advanced intermediate level in about 6 months. It also will give you a fairly good understanding of theory. Not bad for 6 months.

However, I have to say, that it is geared to metal/hard rock, so some of the examples and techniques will not apply if you aren't into those styles.

ReplyQuote
(@jamonkey)
Eminent Member

This is a no B.S. course made by a professional guitarist, it offers no miracles, but all the imformation you need to know to learn and become a great guitar player. It has more or less everything you need to know, however Doug is working on a revision to his course that goes into much more detail, but I'd say if you master everything in the Metal Method course you'll have enough knowledge to play most of the songs you come across and be able to intellegently write your own material. I highly recommend it.

ReplyQuote
(@rostenbee)

This is a great series and will help anyone develop chops, depending on the time devoted to it. I found that the Michael Angelo Speed Kills and Speed Lives series are a nice compliment to Doug Marks and take the ideas to a new level. I used the MM series for years and then got into the Speed series and found it a comfortable challenge that helped me build a lot of speed.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Not much action on this for a few years but I recently bought the package also. I've been playing for a few years and do take lessons but i wanted something in addition to what I was already doing.

I skimmed through Disks 1- 3 since all of the stuff I already know and basically started with Disk 4 of 6. I'm about a third of the way through and so far nothing is extremely difficult. I don't know what the proposed method is for these ie., one lesson a week but I do one for a day or two and then move on.

Not noticable improvement yet but I just started.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote