Clear all

Rock'n'Roll Biographies

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, the other week, I went to our local library and discovered that they had a small music section hidden away in the back somewhere. I found Eric Clapton and Ronnie Wood's biographies and couldn't resist getting them out, and now I am hooked.

I finished EC's book in less than a week and stayed up very late each night because it was too hard to put down. As much as I love EC's blues guitar playing, I was very disappointed in his book and his life up to his later years when he turned the corner and finally settled down. His tales of serious drug and alcohol abuse are quite a sobering and disturbing read. What I really liked about the book was how the whole London scene was so interlinked with lots of people knowing each other, jamming together etc. The one surprise was Pete Townsend who seemed to have been a rock amongst the debris that was floating around.

Ronny Wood's book is a hoot. Opposite to EC, he's had a great childhood, a wonderful family and it really shows in his life and narration. Drugs (and alcohol) have been the main ingredients in his life, together with music. Again, this really opened my eyes as to how drugs have been and are such a huge part of their lives. The absolute best thing about this book is Keith Richards who has been Ronnie's close friend for a long time, and I've had lots and lots of laugh-out-loud moments reading about Keith and his crazy crazy life. It's a wonderful book, very open and feel-good despite the many negatives in Ronnie's life. I highly recommend it, even if just to read about Keith.

Next on the list is a book about AC/DC, then Neil Young. Can't wait.....

If you have read any good R'n'R biographies or other books, then let me know, I am on a mission......

(@alangreen)

Joe Strummer's is excellent, so is John Peel's and Slash's is absolutely mind-boggling

Murray Walker - Formula 1 commentator on TV for millions of years - is also an excellent read. He's probably the only one I've read who really appreciated that he'd been very lucky to get where he is.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I remember way back in the 70's reading Tony(?) Scaduto's biographies of Dylan and Jagger and being enthralled. Same with Robert Greenfield's book of the Stones' '72 American tour, think it's called something like "STP - A journey through America."
STP meaning "Stones Tour Party" - Greenfield was very much an insider with total access to the "inner circle" and chronicled all the nefarious goings-on. Now that one's a REAL eye-opener!

Best bio I've ever read, though, has to be Ian Hunter's "Diary Of A Rock'n'Roll Star" - unfortunately, I no longer have a copy, and it's a tough one to find these days.

Oh, and a while back, Dogsbody from these forums recommended Cynthia Lennon's book about life with John.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Yeah Vic ,

Great read, Cynthia's book on life with John. I lent it to a friend and still haven't got it back.

Also Rodders recommended Eric Clapton's autobiography. I picked it up and found I couldn't put it down, again a brilliant read. Eric opens up his heart warts and all from his massive ego and insular attitude in the early years, right through his self destructive years to the very rounded likable, respected and life wise man he is now that he has rid himself of the demons so many rock stars fall prey to. BTW going to see Clapton at the Albert Hall in May (Christmas present from Joe our youngest son) He knows how to surprise his parents!!! We were just blown away Christmas morning.

I really should read some more Rock & Roll bios' Dylan maybe (anybody read his recent book? and could say yes read it or don't bother!)

I've seen a few on the Faces/Ronnie Wood on shelves and have been tempted, I must give in one day!

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Chris, I've got "Ronnie" if you'd like to borrow. Must have "Jools" back first though or you might get a library fine :D :lol: :D

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@jase36)
Reputable Member

I really should read some more Rock & Roll bios' Dylan maybe (anybody read his recent book? and could say yes read it or don't bother!)

I read Dylans chronicles when it came out and thought it was a terriffic read. It is written in no cronological order and jumps forwards and backwards in time. His discriptive powers are excellent. I can't wait for volume 2

Noddy Holder's biography was good and had some really funny stories. Tony Visconti (producer for Bowie and Bolan) was good it really gives you a feel for the time before Bowie or Bolan found fame. Neil Youngs mamouth biography is worth reading but I'm not sure you get to know the real Neil Young. Joe Strummers was a real eye opener like Neil Youngs another big book.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

ReplyQuote
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies - I have since finished the AC/DC biography (these guys swear a lot) and 2 more books on Keith and Keith & Mick. I somehow lost much of my admiration for Keith, his drug-intake was truly horrendous and it was - at least from a reader's perspective - closely linked with his creativity. I am sick of the Stones now. Next on the list is Joe Strummer, Slash and Neil Young. Can't wait...

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

I came across Clapton's autobiography at the locsl library and also found it to be an excellent read. I just couldn't get over his candor about all of the things that went on with him and his feelings about it all. Dylan's biography too was good. Another good one I read some years ago was the bio of Jerry Garcia. He's another one unfortunately that struggled with drugs- particularly when he turned to the hard stuff (coka and herion). Still a good read, especially for an old dead Head as myself.

Another good one was Jimmy Buffett's A Pirate Looks at 50 It's not exactly an autobiography- the main story was about a two week trip hee took through Central and South America, but in it he does a lot of reminiscing about his earlier days.

What I am most interested in reading about in these stories is the early days when they are struggling to make it. Buffett, for instance, talks about when he first picked up the guitar in junior college after seeing a schoolmate playing one and how he attracted the girls. Then he goes on to talking about playing on street corners in New Orleans and then in small clubs, in one of which he had to deal with a bunch of rowdy soldiers from a locl army base who kept turning his amp off while he was trying to play. Good stuff!

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote