Clear all

what if

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

a person doesnt take a lesson in person but learns from others and DVD;s and books... would it be possible to learn as well..?

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You can learn a vast amount from books & other sources, without ever taking a lesson. However, you'll find that progress is slower - you have to work out every new step for yourself, which becomes harder, the more difficult the material becomes.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

People who " learn from others and DVDs and books" (and don't you dare forget about Internet sites! :wink: ) far outnumber those who take lessons. They call themselves "selftaught." It's been happening since there have been guiitars!

Being selftaught means putting together a lot of pieces be yourself. Some will be able to do it quickly while others will slog through things. And it's not always the same thing that causes trouble. Some will be quick at learning leads or soloing, others might be wizards at strumming and chords.

Just like anything, there are pros and cons to being selftaught. And, again just like anything, it's good to get as much assistance from whatever one has available to him or her. Since it's about what you learn as well as about how fast you learn (both of which may not mean much to a particular would be guitarist), you are the best judge of what will work for you. A combination of teaching and selftaught seems to work for a lot of folks.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

You're going to have to teach yourself either way, but a teacher will act as a guide so that you will learn things in a more effective way. My teacher has taught me things that i wouldn't even think to learn and he'll always know the answers to my questions. I would say its a good thing and it kinda keeps you interested and on your toes.

ReplyQuote
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

i owe 99.7% of what i can do with a guitar to this site!

ReplyQuote