Clear all

Advice appreciated...

13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@returnthepopstar)
Topic starter  

Hey guys,

I'm a guy from New York City and 17 years old. Singing has been my undying passion since I was little.

I'm inspired by everything from pop music to broadway to R'N'B to hiphop and jazz... anything but country.

Nothing compares to the feeling I get when I sing. I have relative pitch (not perfect pitch because I don't read music) and have taught myself to play songs in the right key on piano before + can recognize when a song is not in the normal key even if it's not a full 5 dB difference. Of course people get annoyed when I mention it, haha...

I took voice lessons with two professional singers for three years (not at the same time) through my private school for three years, from ages 12-15.

When I was around 12 and exploring my range, I was able to hit incredibly high notes for a guy such as the optional notes in "No One Mourns the Wicked" from WICKED and etc... I had a higher voice than the girls in my school.

As you may guess, my issue is in no way related to pitch issues.

I've always and still do am able to sing more female songs than male songs. While my voice has gotten a little deeper and my lower range has developed a little more, I still do not sound 17 years old at all. There is a youthful feminine quality to my voice especially when I record my voice even though to me when I sing normally I love how I sound. I don't even know if my voice is "changed"...

I have a wireless microphone system at my mom's house that goes through a special dvd player on our TV and I perform that way whenever I am there. I use backing tracks, usually with the original lead vocal on them just because it's easier. The special dvd player has a function that allows the key to be changed so I alway play around with that. Lately I have been either altering the key to be lower or making it really high and singing an octave lower. I love the smokiness I hear with my voice when it's lower but that's not saying that much since yeah...

Not to sound cocky or anything but I know I have a dominating "it" factor when I perform with swagger and such... that's not exactly the point though.

At my dad's house, I have this old karaoke system that goes in through the TV, this mic has a slot to put headphones in which helps you hear yourself. When I do this, I love how I sound and hope it's the way I really sound because when there is music playing on it as well and the mic isn't near me, I can't hear myself. However, when I record myself regularly, I absolutely cringe how young I sound.

I used to always believe in myself and usually do, but when I play my voice over it scares the heck out of me.

I'm afraid that I won't ever be able to become a pop singer because of this (my late aunt's ex-husband is the vice president of a VERY well-known record label so it's not really about finding a way to get famous) and that my insane passion for music won't be able to be fulfilled. I see my favorite performers in concert arenas and I desperately long for the opportunity to have an extravagant tour and my voice sounding all squeaky and hot over the booming arena speakers... it's my passion in every single way.

I'm also scared that my voice will always be like this even when I'm older and I'll be stuck like this forever OR my voice will change and I will lose all my range.

If anyone could offer any good advice or suggestions I would utterly appreciate it. Thank you SO much. I can also answer any questions.

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Huh? Advice on what? What is the question?

You are worried that you will stay one way or that you will change? No need to worry about that, I guarantee that will happen.

BTW, dB is a measure of magnitude of change in volume, not pitch...at least I've never seen it that way.

Lots of people have relative pitch, a few have perfect pitch. I know some with perfect pitch who always hit what ever note they are singing right on the money, but don't really know what note they are singing at the time. It's what you do with it that counts.

Unless you are singing acapella, why worry about it? If you have that "it" quality, somebody must be liking what you are doing.

Singing along with a DVD with the vocals enabled tells you very little. You are matching pitch based on what you hear, phrasing based on what you hear, emoting based on what you hear. There is very little you in it when you do that. That's why people think they can sing because they sing along with the radio. Put them in front of a mic with an audience and they soon learn the truth.

You really don't have any well defined advice questions in here, it's just a list of what you think about you. If you want my advice, here it is:

1. Take some time to work on being humble
2. Ditto on being thankful for what you have

ReplyQuote
(@returnthepopstar)
Topic starter  

sorry that's not the right term... i use adobe audition and that's what is says when i do pitch stuff

basically i just want to know for sure if i am doomed or not vocally :(

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

lol, of course not. You keep on doing what you are doing.

ReplyQuote
(@returnthepopstar)
Topic starter  

reading your edited post, you're concentrating way more on other parts i mentioned (and i don't appreciate the "humble" comment. it's good to represent yourself and i'm in no way trying to glorify myself in any way, trust me.)

what my concern is that my voice sounds way too young for my age and, while i'm in fear of having this young voice forever, i'm also in fear of losing my range.

i was told it was a good thing to have relative pitch but if most people do, don't try to make me feel snobbish for not knowing that.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

That wasn't my intent. What I was saying was relative or perfect, huge range or small, all that matters is what you do with it. Go have fun.

Regarding my last comment, when three times in one post one refers to loving the quality of one's own voice, or having that swagger and dominating it factor, it comes off as...well I already told you what it comes off as. I don't know you, but maybe you didn't mean for it to come off that way.

Sorry if I offended you, but if I didn't tell you how your post came across, how would you know?

ReplyQuote
(@returnthepopstar)
Topic starter  

i guess we should start over, haha...

either way i'm incredibly insecure about my voice. then again i guess the way i feel here are my true honest thoughts that i'm asking other singers who i think understand - i wouldn't actually say any of this to a regular person. i guess i made that mistake... all i mean is that when i sing i feel on top of the world.

i don't see it as cocky to think you have what it takes but i see where you're coming from. i still don't see a problem with saying my true honest thoughts :( i am sorry though.

EDIT: i will also add that i've been going through some really heavy stuff (my aunt was murdered in 07 and it's been this big struggle over and over) and when i wrote that message i was feeling incredibly down so i hope you understand.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Please don't be sorry. Communicating on a forum in written word is a tricky thing. Lines that you'd say as a throw-away, or dismissively, or under your breath, or sarcastically, or off handedly, all get the same amount of emphasis. For instance, I may have come off as being a real prick with my answer to you, which would be good, because those who know me will tell you I am. :) But you never know.....

Welcome to the insecurity club. David Hodge and I had to work out a deal a couple of years back, whenever one of us would say to the other, "Hey, that was nice." The recipient of the compliment would say "Really?" We came to an agreement that we would just say "Thank you" rather than constantly expose our own insecurities. Now, David writes books about guitar, has written countless lessons, teaches for a living and has played on stage more than any human being I know. I, well I have fronted bands since dirt was rocks, teach on occasion, write for guitarnoise and if you saw me on stage...well you wouldn't think I'm insecure about anything. Yet we had to work out that arrangement.

You should work one out with yourself. You, and I, and David, are our own worst critics.

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

You're 17 and are very fortunate to have had voice lessons at a young age. So your technique is probably pretty good. If it's not, you know what to work on. As for not liking your own voice, few people do. If your voice doesn't change, maybe you won't be a lead singer, but you will have a lot to contribute to a vocal group. Ever heard of The Eagles? (Sorry, I'm old and don't know a contemporary example.) Part of what makes their sound great is the high harmonies.

When you feel comfortable with this forum, post some examples. There are people here with all kinds of singing experience who can tell you where you might improve.

As far as the ego thing, that bothered me a bit. But if you want to be a singer, it's much better to be overconfident than to have stage fright. At least you won't have to work on that.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I would say Wayne Newton has a child like voice and he's done pretty well with it. Your voice is what it is and there isn't much you can do about it. Work on the things you can change is my advise.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@ishikasaxena)
Eminent Member

I would say Wayne Newton has a child like voice and he's done pretty well with it. Your voice is what it is and there isn't much you can do about it. Work on the things you can change is my advise.

I agree with Tim, somethings are there which you can not change like your voice so just accept the fact and try use your voice in your best way...all the best and keep singing.....

Cheers,

Ishika Saxena

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

If you want some good and honest feedback, if there is a way for you to record your voice you should record it and post it so that we can hear what you are doing.

As far as having a voice that's younger than the age that you are I don't know if that really matters if it's strong enough and you can emote the feelings you want the listener to feel.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@ishikasaxena)
Eminent Member

I agree with joe.... you should give a try and post your songs....

Cheers,

Ishika Saxena

ReplyQuote