Clear all

Breathing = Range?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

hey my lung capacity isnt very good, and iv heard it said that being able to reach high notes cleanly has to do with having full lungs (increased air through the vocal chords i guess) i know that there are other things that affect range to do you reckon that theres much truth in the lung capacity idea?

(@coleclark)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

i dont think people on here like me....... :P

come-on people..

ReplyQuote
(@love-tractor)
Eminent Member

Nah, it's not that, it's just that this forum is pretty quiet. As for your question, when you sing the high notes you should be expelling less air then you would when you're singing the notes more in the middle of your voice. That said, the airflow needs to be very controlled to let only the approapriate amount of air out when singing at different pitches. So no, a large lung capacity will only govern how long you can hold a note while the strength of your diaphram will govern how cleanly you can hold that note.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

In other words, it's good to sing with a full set of lungs...

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

There is no correlation between lung capacity and range. How high a note you can sing depends on how high up in your head you can get. If you already know the basics of posture and breathing then Solfa is the answer to training your voice and expanding your range.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote