Notifications
Clear all

can you guys tell me how my voice sounds so far? and help

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mmhmm)
Topic starter  

well i just recorded myself singing your body is a wonderland by john mayer. i know its terrible..but i really need help i can't find my natural voice and i can't control it at all. so i was just hoping that someone could help me out and criticize me and just be honest with me lol. do i have potential ? or does my voice just sound bad and it wont sound anny better and is there anywhere to...sound betteR? lol thanks guys i really appreciate all the help and i could use alot haha. thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aEknaL98sI

(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

Your voice is far from terrible! To my ears you seem to lack breath support--that is, you seem to be singing from your throat without adequate support from below. Usually, when one sings from the throat, the throat/tongue muscles are tense, and this holds back some of the sound--which accounts for the fact that your voice seems overly soft on this recording.

To get your breath support going, you'll need to take a few lessons. For the short term, though, try to project more sound out of your mouth--when you sing, imagine a stream of sound flowing freely into the world. Don't be afraid to sound pointed, focused, even a little loud; deliver yourself and your sound to your audience.

So you could use some lessons, yes, but you're not terrible--no, not at all. You can certainly get your voice in shape with some instruction and some practice.

Oh, and by the way, why shoot a video solely focused on your hands on the guitar? Show yourself singing too!

Jersey Jack

ReplyQuote
(@elpantalla)
Honorable Member

I used to sing really quiet cause I was afraid of people hearing me. Eventually I realised that it sounds a lot better if you just pick up the volume. When you get louder, you sound more sure of yourself and you can hear more feeling coming from your voice. Just try picking up the volume a little bit. Good voice though. Nice playing too.

One chord is fine.
Two you're pushing it.
Three and you're into jazz.

ReplyQuote
(@nathan080)
Estimable Member

Your voice is not bad at all, you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. Like Jack mentioned, maybe some better breath support would help... lots of people swear by diaphragmatic breathing (breathing from your stomach). But you shouldn't be getting as much air as possible into your body, just enough to support your vocals. Try just breathing calmly and naturally without singing at first, then bring singing into it.

Your voice too sounded like it was lacking a bit of depth in my opinion. But this is easy to change, just read the lyrics of a song and get into the mood of it, really try and think what the song means to you and what you want people to think when they hear it... then character will come easy :D

Heres a site that might help you

http://www.alexandercenter.com/pa/voice.html

Ive been looking for many a technique for learning to sing, and slowly I feel like I am making progress but you should look at a wide range of different sources and techniques and see what works for you! A good vocal teacher can do wonders i'm sure as well.

Nath

From Your Influence...
http://www.overplay.com/BandProfile.aspx?BandId=e78b497f-4f31-4182-8659-e8b6fa91d582

http://www.youtube.com/user/FromYourInfluence

ReplyQuote
(@mmhmm)
Topic starter  

wow thanks guys that really actually made me feeel a lot better haha. i really appreciate all the help. But i really can't afford singing lessons so i guess i'm just going to help that one day i wake up with a sick ass voice lol. THANKS this will motivate to play a littl emore haha thanks guys.

ReplyQuote