Clear all

Different Styles Of Singing

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@click26)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi, Im interested in singing and would like to know if there is a particular way to learn a particular style. I have nearly no knowledge of singing so I may be asking supid questions. What the best way to learn singing in the style of Rock?

Do different styles need specific coaching or do the styles lend to each other.

How have people on here tackeled learning to sing?

Are teachers useful or can people not really improve much "you have voice you have got sort of thing"

thanks

(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

The basics of singing are the same no matter what style you may sing. Some of the best rock singers where classically trained. If you can afford it take lessons. If not join a church choir or community chorus. And sing as often as you can.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

One thing, your voice can most certainly improve. It is controlled by two muscles and basically the stronger they are, the easier it will be for you to hit and sustain notes. Now you can't change your register or the natural sound of your voice, but you would be surprised the difference a ton of hard work can make. A teacher is ideal, but for a lot less $$ you can get a book with CD (that is what I did) Vocal Technique: A guide to finding your real voice by Dena Murray was great and took me farther than I ever thought possible. Learning to sing is not easy, be ready to stink for a few months, but its all worth it in the end. Just keep trying and you'll see results.

Knowing proper technique is crucial, so either get a teacher, a book, or a friend to tell you but people tend to have a lot of bad habits to begin with.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote