Clear all

Need some critical Advice

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rachel_morgan)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone, I'm new here! :D I still have to post in the newbie area.

anyways, this is a clip of what I'm preping to sing for a band concert. I'm still in high school, haha. its the big concert for us, so i wanted to step up my game a bit. (I sing in a praise band at church monthly, often with solos...but infront of around 70 people, usually. not many...concert is a good 400 or so, which makes it a nice challenge)

here it is: http://public.box.net/AwolfcalledSkya12065 its a zip file...it was nearly too big, haha.

This is the japanese song We're showing on tuesday. I'm jsut tweaking my voice a bit. I have a tendency to go flat, so I just need to know if it stands out like before and what not. also, if i'm hitting a note quite strange...anything really, let me know :D

Thanks so much in advance! :D

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I don't know the song, and am not sure how Japanese music is supposed to sound, so I can't tell if you are hitting the right notes. Didn't like the song much, but you have to sing what they pick, right?

You have a very good voice. I would be interested to hear you sing something more contemporary/pop. I think your voice is suited for it.

ReplyQuote
(@rachel_morgan)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yes, I'll have to show some of my other songs.

Japanese singing has a bit of a nasally sound...but nothing like french or what not, it quite light.

The other song is a better one ;) but it depends what is chosen xD

"Elsewhere" by Sarah Mclachlan.

I'll post it a bit later when its recorded. I Tend to go flat quite fast in it, because its in my natural range (I started singing almost in the tenor range, so it's bee building up gradually now to high registers)

I'll post up a few more soon for opinions and critism. : ) thanks for trying though!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Hey Rachel

Well, you asked for critical advice so I am going to offer a little but honestly that is tough to do because you have a beautiful voice. Very well done. The only thing I can offer is that maybe a handful of times it sounded like to were a tad off of the note and climbed your way into it. I hope that makes sense. But I bet you'll do great when you perform it. Please let us know how it goes.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@rachel_morgan)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

that sure did! thank you so much for the help! :)

I've had a hard time figuring out if i was teetering a bit, which made it sound a bit hesitant, progeessing to sounding off xD but everyone i know keeps actign like i was crazy xD

I'll work on that part for sure :)

ReplyQuote
(@rachel_morgan)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well we finally showed the songs. We're in With the Japanese one her,e Love Chronicle.

I'm heading over to post everything in the gigs part.

besdies getting quite sick halfway through, it was great!

got a standing ovation from a rock band setting up (they all stopped setting up when we started; not a peep out of them, hhaah)

definitely got a little high from it. xD

ahhh, so excited for the concert!

practice practice practice ! xD

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Mmm...very nice potential. I like the mm...how should I put it. Whatever, it just sounds good. It's raw, it seems natural. Plus you're only 16, so you got plenty of time to get better.

I need to hear you sing some music with the English music though (sorry if that comment comes across as rude, I don't mean for it to be). It'd just be much easier for me to judge you. THe tone is very, very good though.

Some songs I'd love to hear you sing parts of the following songs-

Janis Joplin- Piece of your heart (here we'd get a good idea of your lows)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7JVxE2SYxo

Nat King Cole- L.O.V.E (vibrato, vibrato)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ajW_asKKPY

Christina Aguilera- Hurt (really complete, would show a lot of what your strengths and weaknesses are)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbcltLf2VHo

Oh, some advice from me- BE YOU! Don't try to sound just like Janis. It prob won't sound right, that's not your voice. Don't try to sound just like Christina. That's not you. Be you, Rachel. You have your own voice, and you don't really have to mimic anyone, there's too much of that with woman's voices nowadays. You got potential, and don't give up.

-Kevin

ReplyQuote
(@rachel_morgan)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Kevin : I'm not offended by you needing to hear me in english at all! different languages have different sounds. its a natural thing, haha.

I posted some quick recordings I did. Not the greatest i've ever recorded (bad notes at places, what not) but I seem to be rushing everywhere today! haha.

http://public.box.net//AwolfcalledSkya12065

I'll record the janis joplin one tomorrow.

Hurt is one i'll probably use more to practice for getting rid of my falsetto high notes. My break has slowly been going up (I used to only be able to sing alto or a high tenor, if that exists even) so I'm not too concerned, haha.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote