Clear all

Feedback Please!

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@lpcreation)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello everyone. I think I prematurely posted this in the "Hear Here" section (I've since deleted it). Anyway, I was hoping to get some feedback on my vocals. I tend to get pitchy (part of it in this video is because I was trying not to laugh at my dog, haha) when I get into an upper range. I'd appreciate any feedback or tips.

Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2gbRhLnC4Q

(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Cool post, LP.
I thought overall it was really solid, great sense of rhythm and musicality. Nice tone to your voice.
You started really strong. Over the course of the song, you had a couple of rocky patches. At about 1:10 or so for example, your pitch kind of wavered and there was maybe 30 seconds of what I believe is called 'melisma'. Kind of drifting around the notes and melody...which is great if it's your intention, but here I thought it was more a nervous sort of reflex. Then you got right back on track.
Hopefully someone more versed in singing can offer constructive advice. All I can suggest is, if the pitch is going south, keep your delivery super simple with the goal to get back on pitch asap.
Welcome to the forum.
:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melisma

Don

ReplyQuote
(@lpcreation)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I wasn't sure what "melisma" was so I checked the wiki link and did a Youtube search and I can absolutely say I wasn't trying to do that! I have to really focus to stay in tune and once I get a little pitchy, it's tough for me to get back in tune. I like your advice about keeping the delivery super simple. I'll try it next time I get out of tune (which is inevitable).

Thanks a lot!

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

Yeah, I can see that the dog could be distracting.

You have a pleasant voice and no problem playing interesting rhythms while you sing. Your pitch problems seem to be mostly on the high notes. My best guess is that 2 things are going on. First, you're not breathing deeply enough. Second, you seem to be straining to sing at the high end of your range. Maybe that's the key of the original - I don't know the song. Try taking the capo off and see if that helps.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat2)
Trusted Member

i thought it seemed like a good song for you. :note1: :note2:

ReplyQuote
(@lpcreation)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

Thanks for the tips on the video I posted above. I've got another video I'd like some criticism on. It's more of an upbeat tune with some spoken words in the middle of the song. I'm sort of trying to find my style after playing electric in a rock band for a number of years. Any tips or criticism is welcome, but I'd love to know if it sucks. Basically.

Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilN9qtGyJuQ

ReplyQuote