Clear all

great instruction!

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

i recently bought 'the zen of screaming' by melissa cross dvd from amazon.com to learn how to scream without hurting myself

what i discovered after buying the cd is the there is only about 10 minutes on screaming in the whole thing, and the rest is focussed on how to get a good voice by breathing properly, projection, head voice chest voice etc

she explains it so simply, with things you can do to help you understand, such as putting a pencil in your mouth and using that aid to help visualise projecting 'over the pencil' (using your vocal chords properly) rather than using your throat

it is a brilliant dvd! plus it has a heap of exercises, shows you how you can hurt yourself and how to avoid it, warmups etc. AND comes with a cd version of the exercises that you can sing along to it the car or whatever.

i have quite a few book and dvds on singing and i can say that this is THE best one iv come accross yet by FAR

worth every cent! i give it my trademark *thumbs up!*

(@squarecut)

Thanks for the tip. I 'll try to check it out. Hopefully I find it as useful as you did.

ReplyQuote
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

Yes, I'm ALWAYS looking for good resources!

Because singing involves learning to control muscles inside the body, teachers have to rely on suggestive language, visualizations, etc. By and large they all say the same thing, and the crucial thing is the way they say it. One must find a teacher who "resonates."

I'm not a screamer--I go for old-time country and country-influenced rock (Gram Parsons is my hero!)--but I'll certainly check out this dvd.

Jersey Jack

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Thanks for the pointer - I've been thinking about trying to find something decent sometime soon, and have heard good things about this one before too... now I've just got to start saving a few pennies :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@cosmic)

My friend actually just bought this but I haven't heard his review. It must be pretty good though. I've considered buying it as well, even though I don't scream.

ReplyQuote