4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@soxzs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey!
I hope everyone is well and good,

I have being attempting to better my "singing" (if it can be called that as this point) for the last few months.

I want to work on increasing my range and getting more consistant at hiting the correct note.

One thing that bothers me is, when i listen to my singing back it makes me cringe.
Ive herd lots of people don't like the sound of their own voice, but i'm just curious as to what other people think =)

The recording "same thing" was recored about 6 months ago and "Please" was recorded last night, there both self written as i feel when i do covers i end up trying to sound like whoever sang the original.

Im looking for honest feedback, even if its not positive (which i expect most to be) Its the only way to improve.

The recordings are done with a really low quality built in mic, so appologies for that, i had a half decent USB mouse somewhere but can't for the life of me remember were i put it!

Anyway, let me know what you think and any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and hope you are well!

www.myspace.com/dancarberry

(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

You have some instability in your voice--that is, you often drift off of a note even if you do at first hit it. This is the kind of thing that can be addressed effectively with vocal lessons and practice. You are also singing very low (apparently) in your range, which can create instability problems.

That said, I really like your tone. When you do land solid and maintain the note, your voice sounds very good!

I would try raising the key of these tunes up two whole tones. Also, simple practice--by this I means really focused practice. Go over the melody again and again; if necessary record the melody in an instrumental track and sing along with it. But taking a few lessons would be the best way to go, if you can swing it.

Again, good stuff. I hope you keep singing. With a little bit of work you could be a fine singer! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@soxzs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks very much the feedback Jack it really is appreciated!

I shall try raising the key of the songs and my voice and try it that way, and i have noticed what you said about instability, im going to have to really focus to keep the note there!

I have looked into lessons and do plan on having a few at some point, however at the moment, its not an option, but il strive to get some sorted in the future.

Thanks again for your feedback, was very enlighting =)

Have a good day!

ReplyQuote
(@moresco)
Eminent Member

Sounds good to me, Dan...but you get lazy on the end of some of your notes and here and there just in general. Put a little but more effort consciously into the notes you're singing, really HIT them dead on each time and hold them there through the duration. Work on your breathing, it will help you with doing just that. Also it could be you're having a little trouble because of concentrating on the guitar? Or did you record them separately?

Sometimes when I want to learn something to sing, I find my vocal line on the guitar, and I practice singing the notes one at a time, slowly at first then up to speed. By doing this, I can really focus on what I'm doing and the pitches I'm aiming for. It reinforces that great vocal until I'm comfortable with it, and then I can go back to the guitar and work on combining the two.

One last tip, record your vocal line alone. Listen to it, you'll find that after a few listens those problems you have really start to stand out. Do this on a project dedicated to vocal improvement. If you have a program that does multiple layered tracks, you can re-sing your stuff once a month or so on a new layer of that track. Then, just solo each one in turn so that you can hear how you're progressing. It's seriously important to hear how you're improving, and when you're not.

Also, I'm glad you cringe at the sound of your own voice, because your voice sounds fine - and that's reassuring to me, because I also hate the sound of my own voice. At least I tell myself that after I listen to it for five+ hours mixing and mastering =/

Cheers, man. =D

-Brent
theRedPress

ReplyQuote