Clear all

My vocal range and key?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've never considered myself to be able to sing. It started when I was 13, when I tried out for 8th grade glee club. I auditioned, and was dq'ed by the music teacher. I never asked why, I just assumed I couldn't sing. OK, my angst is revealed. :P

Fast forward 38 years...

I've been "practicing" singing with some of my favorite tunes for the day when I am coordinated enough to sing and play (at the same time, no less!).

I've discovered that I can follow, almost perfectly note for note:

Gordon Lightfoot in Sundown and Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald; John Lennon in Imagine and Working Class Hero; Michael Stipe in Losing My Religion, and a number of others, actually. Those are the ones off the top of my head. I'm still a little shy about singing things like happy birthday, or in front of other people without following recordings (weird, huh? :oops: ).

So what is my vocal range and key if I can follow those (or is it all in my head)? :?

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

(@maurer)

i'm not positive but i'd be willing to bet you're a baritone.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Really? That's cool. :D The thought crossed my mind; someone who sang in a choir once told me I was a tenor, but that can't be right. I know tenor voices, e.g. Placido Domingo (I cannot follow him in Vesti La Giubba from Pagliacci, one of my favorite arias); nor Mario Lanza; nor Michael Crawford; I cannot hit those notes.

Btw, I just looked up baritone @ Wikipedia, and sure enough it says it's the most common male voice range (examples):
Jim Morrison
Michael McDonald
Elvis Presley
Ringo Starr
Eddie Vedder

Yes, I can follow them also.

Well... you learn something new everyday. Thanks. :D

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

As far as key goes, singers don't "have keys". If a song is within your range, it doesn't matter what key it's in.

For instance, let's say your range is from C to E (a tenth). You could sing any song, in any key, as long as it doesn't go below C or above E. If a song is in that range, and is in the key of G, you can sing it. Another song in the key of G that reaches F# would be beyond your range - you'd have to sing that at least a whole step lower (key of F).

But if another song is in the key of F, but reaches down to A below your range you won't be able to sing it... you'd have to go up at least a minor third.... so for that song you'd need to be in the key of Ab or higher.

And any song with a range of more than a tenth wouldn't be singable, no matter what key you're in.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

As far as key goes, singers don't "have keys". If a song is within your range, it doesn't matter what key it's in.

OK, thanks. That's another snippet that someone once said to me, about having a "vocal key".
For instance, let's say your range is from C to E (a tenth). You could sing any song, in any key, as long as it doesn't go below C or above E. If a song is in that range, and is in the key of G, you can sing it. Another song in the key of G that reaches F# would be beyond your range - you'd have to sing that at least a whole step lower (key of F).

But if another song is in the key of F, but reaches down to A below your range you won't be able to sing it... you'd have to go up at least a minor third.... so for that song you'd need to be in the key of Ab or higher.

Maybe that's what they meant and didn't explain it like you did. Now I understand. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@nathan080)
Estimable Member

Have you recorded yourself singing yet? sometimes its hard to tell if you are hitting the right notes without listening back to yourself. I used to think I was a really good singer... turns out thats only so if you can climb inside my head ;).

Also try not to get too sucked into the 'what is my range game'... Your range can change quiet drastically with enough work. Never think, "I can't do that" instead think, "I don't know HOW to do that yet"... Then work it out ;)

FYI

From Your Influence...
http://www.overplay.com/BandProfile.aspx?BandId=e78b497f-4f31-4182-8659-e8b6fa91d582

http://www.youtube.com/user/FromYourInfluence

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Have you recorded yourself singing yet? sometimes its hard to tell if you are hitting the right notes without listening back to yourself. I used to think I was a really good singer... turns out thats only so if you can climb inside my head ;).

I haven't yet. I was afraid it might be in my head too. :lol:
Also try not to get too sucked into the 'what is my range game'... Your range can change quiet drastically with enough work. Never think, "I can't do that" instead think, "I don't know HOW to do that yet"... Then work it out ;)

FYI

True!

ReplyQuote